Video formats

The videos I add to my xway website are recorded in .MOV format, so I have to change them in iMovie to get them into mp4 format to be accepted by xway. Is the .MOV format non-standard for Apple? They open OK in Quicktime.
Thanks
Geoff

Browsers no longer include the QuickTime plug-in, so they can’t play MOV directly. However, MP4 is an Internet standard, and browsers play that natively, without any help from plug-ins.

Walter

On Jun 17, 2021, at 9:22 AM, Geoff Mullett email@hidden wrote:

The videos I add to my xway website are recorded in .MOV format, so I have to change them in iMovie to get them into mp4 format to be accepted by xway. Is the .MOV format non-standard for Apple? They open OK in Quicktime.
Thanks
Geoff

You don’t have to convert in iMovie. A waste of time.

Just change the .mov to .mp4

From: email@hidden on behalf of Geoff Mullett email@hidden
Reply-To: email@hidden
Date: Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 6:22 AM
To: email@hidden
Subject: [xway-talk] Video formats

Thanks
Geoff

FWIW…

If you want to make a smaller version of your movie i.e. pixel dimensions, you can 2-finger-tap a .mov file in the Finder (contextual menu) and go to the Services menu, where you will find, in typically hidden Mac fashion, a menu option ‘Encode Selected Video Files’, from where you will be offered a choice of options. They will still have the .mov extension, but as Jerry says, just change it to mp4.

I never knew that!
Thanks all.
Geoff

.mov is a QuickTime file format, and is the format from which MP4 was developed.

There may be a degree of compatibility between the two formats, so it’s possible that renaming .mov files to .mp4 will work (as Jerry suggested) - although I think it would be a good idea to test this on different browsers.

Jeremy

MOV is a container format, and may contain many different video and audio encoding schemes internally. It’s possible that you had a MOV container that encapsulated an MP4 stream, and so renaming the container didn’t present a huge compatibility issue for the browser trying to play it in. It’s likely that there are many browsers (or versions thereof) that would choke on it, too. There are applications (the free Miro Encoder is one I use) that allow you to drag-n-drop a video of nearly any source format and transcode it to another format, with all the legal headers and data streams intact. I would not rely on a hack like this if you worry at all about it working anywhere besides your Mac.

Here’s an excellent breakdown of how this all works: Video - Dive Into HTML5

Walter

On Jun 21, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

.mov is a QuickTime file format, and is the format from which MP4 was developed.

There may be a degree of compatibility between the two formats, so it’s possible that renaming .mov files to .mp4 will work (as Jerry suggested) - although I think it would be a good idea to test this on different browsers.

Jeremy