Xway b2 is here!

We have just released Xway b2, the latest version of our next-generation program for visual web design.

You can download it from our web site: https://www.softpress.com/xway/

Xway includes a detailed reference manual, which you can access by choosing “Xway User Guide” from the Help menu. This also includes an appendix with a list of new features and cross-references to documentation in the user guide - this is a good place to start if you’re upgrading from b1. If you’re new to Xway, a good place to start is the introduction to the user guide, and the Xway tutorial (see below).

There is also a step-by-step tutorial and two sample documents, which are available from our web site (click on “Xway Resources” in the Help menu). We revised the tutorial for b2.

New features in Xway b2:

• Resources view
• Graphics can be pasted into Xway
• Graphics in non-web format (TIFF etc.) can be imported
• External resources
• Insert Resource dialog
• Content section of Box Inspector displays information about resources
• Resources can be replaced, detached, or located
• Modified resources are automatically updated
• Plays Inline attribute for videos
• Iframes (YouTube videos, Vimeo videos, Google maps etc.)
• Inflow boxes can be moved or duplicated by dragging
• Language can be specified for pages and documents
• Meta tags
• Generic markup
• Extended page attributes can be added to html and head (as well as body)
• Default extended page attributes can be added in the Document Inspector
• Clearing or resetting the Name/ID field of a resource box will generate a default ID based on the name of the resource
• You can reset the IDs of multiple boxes by typing a space in the Name/ID field
• Fixed background images are drawn with fixed attachment
• Clicking anywhere in the title bar of an Inspector section will hide or show that section
• Pressing Command-Return switches from the Site panel and starts editing if a container box is selected
• Improved Dark Mode support
• Markup and Extended sections in the Inspector panel grow in height (as well as width) when the Inspector is widened

Jeremy

Jeremy
thank YOU ALL!!!

Carla Grande
Consultant & Website Designer
https://spiritidesign.com
917 621 5550

On May 19, 2020, at 10:56 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

We have just released Xway b2, the latest version of our next-generation program for visual web design.

Xway includes a detailed reference manual, which you can access by choosing “Xway User Guide” from the Help menu. This also includes an appendix with a list of new features and cross-references to documentation in the user guide - this is a good place to start if you’re upgrading from b1. If you’re new to Xway, a good place to start is the introduction to the user guide, and the Xway tutorial (see below).

There is also a step-by-step tutorial and two sample documents, which are available from our web site (click on “Xway Resources” in the Help menu). We revised the tutorial for b2.

New features in Xway b2:

• Resources view
• External resources
• Insert Resource dialog
• Meta tags
• Generic markup
• Clearing or resetting the Name/ID field of a resource box will generate a default ID based on the name of the resource
• You can reset the IDs of multiple boxes by typing a space in the Name/ID field
• Clicking anywhere in the title bar of an Inspector section will hide or show that section
• Pressing Command-Return switches from the Site panel and starts editing if a container box is selected
• Markup and Extended sections in the Inspector panel grow in height (as well as width) when the Inspector is widened

Jeremy

The zipped sample documents (Ambient, Ambient Light) don’t seem to be viable for me.
The media links to jeremy’s document folder for example.
Something I’m doing wrong?

CraigS

On May 19, 2020, at 10:56 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

New features in Xway b2:

• Resources view
• External resources
• Insert Resource dialog
• Meta tags
• Generic markup

Jeremy

Hi Craig,

The media links to jeremy’s document folder for example.

That doesn’t actually matter, because the documents contain copies of all the images.

What you can do, if you don’t want to see these references, is:

1. Go to the Resources view
  2. Select all the resources
  3. Click on the Detach button

Note that (in contrast to Freeway) an Xway document contains images that are identical to the original images, not simply a low-resolution duplicate.

Jeremy

Excellent news, Jeremy!

I’ll download it and start playing with it.

Thanks!

Oh - but one thing that has gone wrong is that the Xway Tutorial is no longer accompanied by a Media folder containing resources.

We’ll get this fixed ASAP

(If you had the Media folder, you could also use the Locate button to locate each of the resources.)

Jeremy

Great stuff. Well done to all. However, when I try to download the tutorial, Firefox gives me the message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
Error>
AccessDenied
Access Denied
3D9C43C35438EDE4

N4xOyvfeLNkFt3sa67IV+UFzrv+N/F4IsEcRmFYVI6dC5Gn2S+4emtbUVgsk9EbizMhQgsI0I3A=

It also didn’t like the security of the site that Xway is downloaded from and I had to override several ‘don’t proceed’ alerts…
Regards
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

We’ve fixed the permissions problem, and we’re looking into the certificate issue.

Jeremy

On 20 May 2020, at 09:03, Geoff Mullett email@hidden wrote:

Great stuff. Well done to all. However, when I try to download the tutorial, Firefox gives me the message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
Error>
AccessDenied
Access Denied
3D9C43C35438EDE4

N4xOyvfeLNkFt3sa67IV+UFzrv+N/F4IsEcRmFYVI6dC5Gn2S+4emtbUVgsk9EbizMhQgsI0I3A=

It also didn’t like the security of the site that Xway is downloaded from and I had to override several ‘don’t proceed’ alerts…
Regards
Geoff

This should be fixed now. There wasn’t anything wrong with our certificate, but we used the wrong links (my fault) …

Jeremy

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

we’re looking into the certificate issue

thanks so much jeremy
I had no trouble downloading the app… here is a stupid question…
should I delete the original Xway beta/?

Carla Grande
917 621 5550

On May 20, 2020, at 7:35 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

This should be fixed now. There wasn’t anything wrong with our certificate, but we used the wrong links (my fault) …

Jeremy

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

we’re looking into the certificate issue

Hi Carla,

It’s up to you really. One advantage of deleting it is that macOS won’t try to open documents in the old version, when you double-click on them. If you want to hang on to the old version “just in case”, you could compress it into a zip file (choose Compress from the File menu in the Finder) before deleting the app.

Xway b2 will open b1 documents, but you can’t open b2 documents in b1.

Jeremy

got it… thx Jeremy
I’m reading the new user guide from cover to cover (life in quarantine)
and you’ve come a long way baby! LOL
stay safe

Carla Grande
917 621 5550

On May 20, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Carla,

It’s up to you really. One advantage of deleting it is that macOS won’t try to open documents in the old version, when you double-click on them. If you want to hang on to the old version “just in case”, you could compress it into a zip file (choose Compress from the File menu in the Finder) before deleting the app.

Xway b2 will open b1 documents, but you can’t open b2 documents in b1.

Jeremy

Hi Richard,

The Xway User Guide is available from the Help menu.

It’s always been there, but we revised and updated it for b2.

Jeremy

On 1 Jun 2020, at 20:02, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

Where is the new user guide Carla is referring to?

Hi Richard

the new updated user guide is within the xway folder
to to HELP
and you can access it there
its excellent

Carla Grande
917 621 5550

On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:02 PM, Richard Cacciato <email@hidden> wrote:

Thanks Jeremy, I realized it and deleted my post.

Reading it now.

Richard.

Richard Cacciato

On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:04 PM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Richard,

The Xway User Guide is available from the Help menu.

It’s always been there, but we revised and updated it for b2.

Jeremy

On 1 Jun 2020, at 20:02, Richard Cacciato <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Jeremy, a few questions.

1. Is it possible to copy elements from one page to another? I have a navbar on the home page and when I edit it in b2 and copy it the links don’t seem to stick (unless I’m doing something wrong).

2. Master Pages: any idea when?

3. Same for responsive menus (hamburger menus) that appear at certain breakpoints.

Thanks.

Hi Richard,

1. Copy/paste is incomplete in Xway. You can copy plain text (User Guide, page 29), but you can’t copy links and styles along with it. This is high on our to-do list.

2. Master pages: Xway supports master styles (that’s what the Document Inspector deals with), but master content is a major task, and we want to do a better job than Freeway. Freeway didn’t support master content or styles for inflow boxes until version 6. We know this is a core feature.

3. Responsive menus: we’re thinking about how to do this. We know it’s important.

Jeremy

On 1 Jun 2020, at 21:52, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

1. Is it possible to copy elements from one page to another? I have a navbar on the home page and when I edit it in b2 and copy it the links don’t seem to stick (unless I’m doing something wrong).

2. Master Pages: any idea when?

3. Same for responsive menus (hamburger menus) that appear at certain breakpoints.

Thanks.

OK thanks so much. I know it’s a lot of work. Thanks for keeping at it!

Richard.

On Jun 1, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Richard,

1. Copy/paste is incomplete in Xway. You can copy plain text (User Guide, page 29), but you can’t copy links and styles along with it. This is high on our to-do list.

2. Master pages: Xway supports master styles (that’s what the Document Inspector deals with), but master content is a major task, and we want to do a better job than Freeway. Freeway didn’t support master content or styles for inflow boxes until version 6. We know this is a core feature.

3. Responsive menus: we’re thinking about how to do this. We know it’s important.

Jeremy

On 1 Jun 2020, at 21:52, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

1. Master Pages: any idea when?
  1. Same for responsive menus (hamburger menus) that appear at certain breakpoints.

Thanks.