Xway b3 is here!

We have just released Xway b3, the latest version of our next-generation program for visual web design.

You can download it from our web site: https://www.softpress.com/xway/

Xway includes a detailed reference manual, which you can access by choosing “Xway User Guide” from the Help menu. This also includes an appendix with a list of new features and cross-references to documentation in the user guide — this is a good place to start if you’re upgrading from b2. If you’re new to Xway, a good place to start is the introduction to the user guide, and the Xway tutorial (see below).

There is also a step-by-step tutorial and two sample documents, which are available from our website (click on “Xway Resources” in the Help menu). We revised the tutorial for b3.

New features in Xway b3:

• Components (Exhibeo galleries or other content)
  • Pages and folders can be copied and pasted
  • Boxes can be copied and pasted
  • Text can be copied and pasted
  • Folders (and their contents) can be duplicated
  • Favicons
  • Web view
  • HTML view
  • Absolute boxes can be duplicated by Option-dragging
  • The content of markup items can be taken from an external text file
  • Cookies can be disabled for YouTube videos
  • Flow Root checkbox for container boxes
  • Extended attribute/property names and meta tag names can be edited
  • The Site panel can be hidden or shown
  • The Inspector panel can be hidden or shown
  • The way that h1, figure, and link elements are styled within Xway matches the way that they are styled in browsers
  • Auto punctuation (replacing double space with “. ”) is disabled in markup fields
  • Hex values that are preceded by # can be pasted into hex color fields
  • Improvements to YouTube and Vimeo iframe previews
  • Iframes have a default content size of 300x150 (as in browsers)

Bug fixes, including:

• and − buttons are visible in macOS 11 (Big Sur)

Thanks Jeremy!

I reckon I can now start moving my site across to xway. :blush:

I’m wondering what else you’re planning on adding before the final version ships?

Hi Grant,

There are a number of things we’re planning on adding, including master pages, tables, forms, Freeway import, and direct support for CSS flexbox.

I don’t think there will be a “final version”. We’re planning to continue developing Xway for many years, and the beta versions we’ve been releasing are “release quality” rather than “beta quality” — but there will be a commercial (1.0) release at some point and we will then start charging for Xway (with upgrade discounts for Freeway users).

Master pages are high on our list of things to do, and I think they will be in the next beta or the one after that (we may release an intermediate beta with native support for M1 processors).

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

I love the steady, thorough and methodical approach you’re taking. Are you aiming at ~ 6 month updates, or is it just the way things are panning out? (Apart from the little mini b3 a couple of weeks back)

thanks Jeremy !!!

Carla Grande
Consultant & Website Designer
https://spiritidesign.com
917 621 5550

On Dec 1, 2020, at 8:06 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Grant,

There are a number of things we’re planning on adding, including master pages, tables, forms, Freeway import, and direct support for CSS flexbox.

I don’t think there will be a “final version”. We’re planning to continue developing Xway for many years, and the beta versions we’ve been releasing are “release quality” rather than “beta quality” — but there will be a commercial (1.0) release at some point and we will then start charging for Xway (with upgrade discounts for Freeway users).

Master pages are high on our list of things to do, and I think they will be in the next beta or the one after that (we may release an intermediate beta with native support for M1 processors).

Jeremy

Hi Grant,

Cheers! We’re aiming for regular updates, and 6 months seems to be how it’s panning out.

Jeremy

Looking forward to diving in!
Thanks, Jeremy!
~michael

Is support for menu creation and rollover trickery on that list of future features?

Hi Keith,

It’s an incomplete list. Menu creation is something we are planning to look at!

Rollover trickery: I don’t know if or when we will support old-style JavaScript rollovers — but hover styles are already supported, and we could develop that further.

Jeremy

Good news!
Regarding Exhibeo, I have version 2.0.3, which when I checked, is the latest available and doesn’t work with Xway. If the required 2.0.4 coming soon?
Thanks
Geoff

To get Exhibio 2.0.4 go to https://www.softpress.com/exhibeo/ and click on ‘try’ on the top menu bar. That will download the latest version for you.

Thank Gordon. It would have been helpful if the version was indicated somewhere on the website. Interestingly, having installed the new version and clicked on ‘check for updates’, the dialog box says “Exhibeo 2 2.0.3 is currently the newest version available. (You are currently running version 2.0.4.)
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The “Check for Updates” discrepancy is happening because we haven’t updated our Sparkle (update) feed yet. We’re planning to do that soon.

Jeremy