Xway impressions

I am a bit above a novice but I made 3 or 4 sites with Freeway and was very disappointed when it evaporated. I went to Rapidweaver as a refugee and found myself spending more money than I liked and still not feeling comfortable using it although I managed to recreate my Freeway sites pretty well. I just tried out the Tutorial for Xway and I can report that, for me, it is a much more pleasant application to use, the main reason I’ve been a Mac user for all these years. This is entirely subjective and I don’t think I can describe why, exactly, but I enjoy using it instead of feeling that the application is fighting me. Thanks for reincarnating Freeway as Xway! One suggestion I have is to make the selected icon more apparent at the top of the inspector. I’d like it if the live item eg. document, page, box, etc. inspector was more prominently highlighted. I would like to be able to use a dropdown navigation scheme for phone display as I am prone to make too many pages on my sites, more than your 5. When I did the tutorial, I noted that the links stopped working in preview after one or two clicks. What did I do wrong? Thanks again for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated.

Harold Appel
New York City
MacOS 10.15.1 (19B88)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Hi Harold,

Thanks for your comments!

I’ve logged your suggestion about highlighting the icon for the selected Inspector.

“the links stopped working in preview after one or two clicks” - I wonder if you left them undefined on one or more of the pages. If you did that, the links on that page (or those pages) wouldn’t work when you navigated there.

Jeremy

I have a new Apple 27" 64bit computer (replaces a 32bit 27’ crashed one), so Freeway Pro no longer functions. I can make amendments to my sites (www.nicholas-robertson.uk and www.breweryartists.co.uk) on an old laptop, but its Mavericks OS and constrictive compared to a large screen. After advice I have migrated to this forum as I am ‘testing’ Xway beta, which feels light compared to Freeway, but comfortable. I assume Master pages and other missing functions will all be available on the finished version when it is launched. As I said, so far I am comfortable with the beta version and will be inclined to use the full version, but I have some concerns. The general use of many actions and Showcase in my sites may not be comparable with Xway, will there be alternatives?

Hi Nicholas,

We’re working on adding new functionality, and we hope to release a new beta version (b2) during the coming weeks. Beyond that, we plan to release a series of beta versions with new features and functionality, on a fairly regular schedule. Eventually, we plan to add support for master pages and some kind of Actions technology, along with better support for image galleries.

Xway is a completely new program. It’s inspired by Freeway, but it doesn’t contain a single line of Freeway code. Our goal is that Xway should be better than Freeway, and that beta versions of Xway should be release-quality: bug-free (as far as that is humanly possible) and certainly with far fewer bugs than exist in release versions of Freeway. It takes time to write good-quality code, but the pace of Xway development is much faster than the pace at which Freeway was developed through its 20+ years of existence.

Jeremy

Jeremy, its an exciting prospect to have a clean well designed web program for ‘visual’ people like myself. A ‘full program’ time frame would be useful, but your reply seems more open-ended. So until I can replicate (allowing for enevitable compromises) my sites in Xway, I will have to make do with my old 32bit laptop to update my sites, not a prospect that thrills me. I look forward to the next development. Nick

Hi Nicholas,

Not an ideal solution but iMacs can be used as an external display. If your old laptop has a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port, it’s possible to plug it into the iMac and switch the iMac back and forth between its own system and acting as a second display for the laptop.

There’s more detail about it here:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh30822/mac

Simon

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 1:46 PM nicholas_robertson via Groups.Io <nicholas_robertson=email@hidden> wrote:

Jeremy, its an exciting prospect to have a clean well designed web program for ‘visual’ people like myself. A ‘full program’ time frame would be useful, but your reply seems more open-ended. So until I can replicate (allowing for enevitable compromises) my sites in Xway, I will have to make do with my old 32bit laptop to update my sites, not a prospect that thrills me. I look forward to the next development. Nick

Hi Nicholas,

What I’d suggest is that you track our progress as we release new versions of Xway.

One way that you may be able to run Freeway on a machine that requires Catalina or greater is to install Mojave in a VM (virtual machine) such as Parallels Desktop.

Jeremy

Simon/Jeremy - thanks for the info, I will look into both work-arounds. Is it best to track the Xway progress by checking periodically with your site Xway

Hi Nicholas

Is it best to track the Xway progress by checking periodically with your site

I think Xway Talk is the best way to stay up-to-date.

We will always announce new versions here.

Hopefully, the web site will also get updated - but there could be a time lag, and it might not contain the same detailed information.

Jeremy