[xway-talk] How to freely resize images?

If you place the two images side-by-side, setting their widths to 50%, for example, wouldn’t that work?

If you need to treat the two images as one unit for responsive purposes, you could insert an HTML object where you want the images to appear, then double-click into that object and insert the two images in it, side by side, as above. If you set them both to 50%, then they will flex to fit their container, and whatever width you apply to that outer HTML box will determine what size the combination of images can reach on your page.

That way you could apply a link to one of them, or each of them, without needing there to be a single link for both images.

In the bad old days, we would have used an image map to provide a link over part of an image. I don’t know if Xway can make those. Freeway can.

Walter

On Feb 14, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Саша Грицак email@hidden wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Yes i know that. But the problem is that for example.

There is an image of house with door.
I want that clicking on the door would a person to another page of web site.
But clicking on something else rather then door would do nothing.

So that’s why i created to separate images.
And image with door has a link to another page while image of house has nothing.

How to make page to auto enjast to screen size ?

I know to do it for 1 image.

But how to do it for 2 images and those 2 images keep distance proportion between each other?

How to make links not to entire image but to defined area of it.

In Freeway i just used HTML tool and then creat a castom borders of it and then assign link to that.

With inline images:

1. Insert two images
  2. Set their width to 50%

Jeremy

On 23 Feb 2020, at 19:45, Саша Грицак email@hidden wrote:

How to make page to auto enjast to screen size ?

I know to do it for 1 image.

But how to do it for 2 images and those 2 images keep distance proportion between each other?

Hi Sasha,

How to make links not to entire image but to defined area of it.

In Freeway i just used HTML tool and then creat a castom borders of it and then assign link to that.

When you say “HTML tool” do you mean “Map Area” tool?

Jeremy

I just switched to Mac os Catalina and cannot access Freeway anymore.

It looks like map area

Hi Sasha,

It looks like map area

Xway doesn’t support map areas (image maps) at present.

Technically, you could use a markup item to add your own image map.

This would involve adding something like…

… in a markup item, and then adding a usemap attribute to the image, with its value set to “map1” in this case. You would also need to calculate the correct coordinates, and set alt text and href as appropriate (in the area tag).

However, one of the problems with map areas is that they don’t work well with flexible images. There are workarounds that involve using JavaScript or adding links around absolutely-positioned divs (which isn’t currently possible in Xway).

The following alternative does work in Xway:

1. Insert an empty container box (div)
  2. Insert the main image within this container
  3. Insert a transparent single-pixel GIF within the container
  4. Give the transparent GIF absolute position (set its position to Absolute in the Box Inspector)
  5. Give the transparent GIF percentage offsets and dimensions (left, right, width, height) if the main image is flexible. Then position it where you want the link to be over the main image.
  6. Give the transparent GIF a link.

Jeremy

1. I found that with XWay PNG images lose less deteilds over original TIFF images then it was with Freeway.
    This is better!!!
    Can you explain why it happens so?

2. I do not have 4K display so i cannot test how it works. So If in XWay seet a fixed hight pictures at web site to 1080px (source pictures it self are 2160px hight) i do have idia how it will work on conventionals displeys but if it will be Retina. Then my web site will be doble smaller or it will automatically edjast to Retina so size will stay the same but just resolution of pictures will be doubled?

Here web site: https://истинный-бог.рф

Hi Sasha,

1. I found that with XWay PNG images lose less deteilds over original TIFF images then it was with Freeway.
    Can you explain why it happens so?

PNG images shouldn’t lose any detail compared with TIFF images (both are lossless), but Xway’s image scaling is probably better than Freeway’s.

1. I do not have 4K display so i cannot test how it works. So If in XWay seet a fixed hight pictures at web site to 1080px (source pictures it self are 2160px hight) i do have idia how it will work on conventionals displeys but if it will be Retina. Then my web site will be doble smaller or it will automatically edjast to Retina so size will stay the same but just resolution of pictures will be doubled?

If you set the width or height to be half the natural width/height, then yes - this will double the resolution. On a low-resolution screen, an image that has 600x600 image pixels will be scaled down to half its size if it is placed within a 300x300-pixel box, but will be displayed at its natural resolution on a high-resolution (2x) screen. This means that the 600x600 image will look much better on a high-resolution screen than a 300x300 image (which would have to be scaled up for the high-resolution screen). The 600x600 image will also look good on a low-resolution screen: scaling down preserves much of the detail from the original image, but scaling up is unable to create extra detail (compare what happens when you scale down a large image with what happens when you scale up a small image).

With images boxes, it’s generally a good idea to set the width or height (rather than both), because this will preserve the aspect (width to height) ratio of the image. If you set both the width and height, and they are not in the same ratio as the original image ratio, the image will be distorted. If you set just one (usually width rather than height) the image will be scaled by the same amount in both directions.

One other point to remember is that image pixels (the dots that make up an image) are not the same as CSS pixels. A CSS pixel (“px” in CSS and Xway) is defined as 1/90th of an inch, so a 300x300-pixel box will appear to be more or less the same size on a high-resolution or low-resolution screen.

Jeremy

In XWay the exect same PNG images looks more better then it was Freeway. This is very noticable in colors. And in XWay PNG images look more closer to original TIFF images then it was in Freeway.
I used the best sethings in Freeway.
Ofcause TIFF images are still look better then PNGs but unfortionaly at current many web browsers refuse to add support of TIFF format. Because other wise i would use this format over PNGs.
Wise carefull sethings TIFF images are not that mucg bigger in size then PNGs.

There is a picture which auto edjast it self according to screen sizes.
It is link assigned to the picture.
How ever i want that only heart would react to link and black would be noy . How to do it?
Please help me :wink:

Here’s one way you could do that:

1. Insert a box
  2. Insert an image within the box
  3. Set the image to have 100% width (so it fills the box)
  4. Insert a single-pixel transparent GIF within the box
  5. Set the transparent GIF to have absolute position
  6. Give the GIF the following initial dimensions: Left: 10%, Top: 10%, Width: 10%, Height: 10%
  7. Drag and resize the GIF so that it is over the part of the main image where you want the link to be
  8. Give the GIF a link

Jeremy

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 04:07 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Jeremy

Jeremy will that be more esier with final version of Xway? :wink:

We’ll look into it.

You could have used an image map in Freeway - but my impression (without having looked into it in detail) is that image maps may not be suitable for flexible pages. They’re certainly much less common than they used to be.

Jeremy

On 27 Mar 2020, at 18:14, Саша Грицак email@hidden wrote:

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 04:07 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
Jeremy
Jeremy will that be more esier with final version of Xway? :wink: