Xway & Transmit

I use Transmit to upload/sync my websites. Within Transmit I use the Favorites feature so I have quick access to each site. This feature requires a path to the local folder. Since the Site folder is now within the package contents I haven’t been able to have the Favorite open all the way into the site folder. I have opened the site folder in the Finder and copied/pasted the path into Transmit but when opening it doesn’t go beyond the package folder. Any idea how to work around this? Thanks!

In Transmit, after you select the package, control-click (or right-click) and choose “Show Package Contents” from the contextual submenu. That will let you extend the path down into the contents of the package. Transmit just uses the Finder APIs for this, and you can navigate into packages in this manner in the Finder as well.

Walter

On Aug 21, 2020, at 9:33 AM, sethr via groups.io sethr=email@hidden wrote:

I use Transmit to upload/sync my websites. Within Transmit I use the Favorites feature so I have quick access to each site. This feature requires a path to the local folder. Since the Site folder is now within the package contents I haven’t been able to have the Favorite open all the way into the site folder. I have opened the site folder in the Finder and copied/pasted the path into Transmit but when opening it doesn’t go beyond the package folder. Any idea how to work around this? Thanks!

Hi Seth,

My first thought was that you could make a Finder alias, but I see that the Finder doesn’t allow aliases to folders within packages.

Another possibility would be to create a link in Terminal:

ln -s path/to/original path/to/link

For “path/to/original” you can just drag the Site folder onto the Terminal after typing “ln -s”

For “path/to/link” you could type something like:

“~/Desktop/Site” (without quotes)

This should create a link on your Desktop.

I don’t know if Transmit will accept this.

It’s possible that we should replace “Show Site Folder” with “Export Site Folder” (within Xway). This would export the internal folder to an external location. It also has the advantage of not opening up the document package (making accidental user mistakes less likely).

Jeremy

Thanks Walter, I am able to do what you describe but even with that path saved in the Favorite dialog when trying to reopen the Favorite it only navigates to the top level package folder and does not open the site folder which kind of negates the value of having it saved as a favorite.

The terminal link worked! A bit of a run around but at least there is a way. I would think that the ability to “export site folder” would be more helpful. Thanks Jeremy!

Jeremy, I’d be careful about that method because of the chance of the data becoming stale. Sounds like a useful short-term work-around, but it’s going to need a lot of care in documenting and support while it’s in use. At the very least, a Mail macro to answer the inevitable “why isn’t my site updating” questions.

Walter

On Aug 21, 2020, at 10:45 AM, sethr via groups.io sethr=email@hidden wrote:

The terminal link worked! A bit of a run around but at least there is a way. I would think that the ability to “export site folder” would be more helpful. Thanks Jeremy!

On 2020-08-21 15:46, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Jeremy, I’d be careful about that method because of the chance of the data becoming stale. Sounds like a useful short-term work-around, but it’s going to need a lot of care in documenting and support while it’s in use. At the very least, a Mail macro to answer the inevitable “why isn’t my site updating” questions.

Walter

If the Xway ‘Export’ were a link rather than a copy that wouldn’t
happen. Maybe ‘Export’ isn’t the right word either - ‘Save Pointer’?
‘Save Alias’ would imply an Apple Alias, ‘Save Link’ could be confused
with an HTML link …

David

On Aug 21, 2020, at 10:45 AM, sethr via groups.io sethr=email@hidden wrote:

Doesn’t storing the resources folder inside the package create the possibility of accidentally overwriting it when reinstalling the software?

Hi Walter,

Export to Site Folder would be similar to “File Copy" upload in Freeway (we’ve been recommending “File Copy” to Freeway users for a while now, so they can switch to using an external FTP program if they have problems with internal upload) — so, yes, if you neglected to export before uploading, the folder wouldn’t be up-to-date. On the other hand, this could be an advantage if you wanted to set up a folder so that it is automatically uploaded when its contents change — it wouldn’t automatically upload after every preview.

The long-term goal is to have an internal upload option in Xway. “Show Site Folder” is a stop-gap method. I’ve never been happy about the way it exposes the internal data of the document package.

Jeremy

Hi David,

Symbolic links are represented as aliases in the Finder — so it’s possible we could have a "Save Site Folder Alias” command that creates a symbolic link. Personally, I’d prefer to have the Site Folder that users see be separate from the Site Folder that Xway stores within the document, because there’s a danger of users damaging the document package if they don’t know what they’re doing.

Jeremy

Hi Bert,

That won’t happen, because the Resources folder and Site folder are stored within the document package (not within the application package).

Each document that you create contains a Site folder and a Resources folder that contain resources and published files for that document. Updating the Xway application doesn’t affect documents.

Jeremy

One other point that is worth noting is that creating a separate external Site folder from the internal document Site folder won’t use up any extra disk space if you have an APFS drive, and the external Site folder is on the same volume. APFS clones files that are copied to the same volume. What this means is that the two files actually share the same data, until one of them is changed. All modern Macs have APFS internal drives. External non-SSD drives normally use the older HFS+ file system.

Jeremy

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 04:19 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Symbolic links are represented as aliases in the Finder — so it’s possible we could have a "Save Site Folder Alias” command that creates a symbolic link. Personally, I’d prefer to have the Site Folder that users see be separate from the Site Folder that Xway stores within the document, because there’s a danger of users damaging the document package if they don’t know what they’re doing.

The symbolic link trick (ln -s in the Terminal) would still be available for anyone who knows what they’re doing!

Jeremy

A quick update to the Transmit issue, instead of copying/pasting the site folder path into the transmit favorite (which doesn’t work), I dragged the location from a finder window into the transmit favorite and that seemed to work just fine. Not sure what the difference is between copying/pasting the path and dragging the folder location from a Finder window is but there must be something….

Yeah, that’s a good concern. Could the internal site folder be made read-only for Finder access while still being writeable by Xway?