Xway

Guys…it’s coming: https://www.softpress.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Do we expect Xway to open Freeway 7 Pro files seamlessly?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Very good news!!! Can’t wait to use it!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jim,

Do we expect Xway to open Freeway 7 Pro files seamlessly?

The first (beta) version of Xway won’t open Freeway 7 files.

We’re planning to add this in a future version.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi,

Just a couple of questions…

Will Xway support Freeway Actions, and will you be able to add your own code as you can in the last version of Freeway?

These are the two things that made Freeway so versatile!

Cheers,

Steve.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Steve,

The first (beta) version of Xway doesn’t support Actions, but you can add your own code as JavaScript (or CSS) markup and as markup items.

Jeremy

On 7 Oct 2019, at 12:17, SteveB email@hidden wrote:

Hi,

Just a couple of questions…

Will Xway support Freeway Actions, and will you be able to add your own code as you can in the last version of Freeway?

These are the two things that made Freeway so versatile!

Cheers,

Steve.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dear FreewayTalkers

Today we have posted two important announcements on our website;

The first is that Freeway will no longer run on the latest MacOS when Catalina is released (see our Freeway page on the Softpress website for further information),

And two, we will be releasing a public beta of Xway, our totally new visual design application which will eventually replace Freeway completely.

Again, check the website for details.

We are truly excited by the advent of Xway, we’re sure you’re going to Enjoy working with it.

With many thanks to all our users,

Richard Logan

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy,

That’s good to hear you will still be able to add extra code to your site. I use lots of php/javascript etc to add extra bits to the e-commerce site I developed and maintain. It has grown in complexity and size over the years and Freeway has been its backbone throughout!

Can you let us know what is the earliest version of Mac OS that Xway will support?

Looking forward to the future with Xway!

Thanks for all your hard work.

Cheers,

Steve.

On 7 Oct 2019, 11:58 am, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Hi Steve,

The first (beta) version of Xway doesn’t support Actions, but you can add your own code as JavaScript (or CSS) markup and as markup items.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Steve,

Xway will run on macOS 10.13 or later.

We plan to add support for general (non-JavaScript) markup in the near future.

Currently, the Page Inspector has a JavaScript markup section and a CSS markup section, and there are also markup items (which are pretty similar to Freeway markup items).

Jeremy

On 7 Oct 2019, at 15:58, SteveB email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

That’s good to hear you will still be able to add extra code to your site. I use lots of php/javascript etc to add extra bits to the e-commerce site I developed and maintain. It has grown in complexity and size over the years and Freeway has been its backbone throughout!

Can you let us know what is the earliest version of Mac OS that Xway will support?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy!
So, does that mean I don’t need to update to Catalina to use Xway and can use it in Mojave?
This way I can have both, Freeway 7 and Xway until it gets finalized. Is that right?

Best,
Marcus

On Oct 7, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Steve,

Xway will run on macOS 10.13 or later.

We plan to add support for general (non-JavaScript) markup in the near future.

Currently, the Page Inspector has a JavaScript markup section and a CSS markup section, and there are also markup items (which are pretty similar to Freeway markup items).

Jeremy

On 7 Oct 2019, at 15:58, SteveB email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, here’s today’s silly question - how do we properly pronounce “Xway”? Is it “ex-way”, “cross-way” or even the Apple-esque “ten-way”?

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Xway is a completely new program. It’s inspired by Freeway, but it doesn’t contain any Freeway code. Freeway was written in C++ and uses system APIs that Apple no longer support. Xway is written in Swift and uses Apple’s Cocoa framework. Our intention is that Xway should be a complete replacement for Freeway (and be able to read Freeway documents) but we haven’t got to that point yet.

Personally, I call it “ex-way” - which is similar to “Xcode” if you want an Apple analogy.

Jeremy

Excellent question, Gordon! I have been wondering that myself! I would think it may have been good for Jeremy to have gone out to the troops to solicit suggestions before picking a name. (Like others, I had just assumed it would be a new Freeway.)

Looking forward to the answer.

Stephen

On Oct 7, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Gordon Low email@hidden wrote:

Okay, here’s today’s silly question - how do we properly pronounce “Xway”? Is it “ex-way”, “cross-way” or even the Apple-esque “ten-way”?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy, I have a question:
Do I need to update to Catalina in order to use Xway or will it work with Mojave?

Thanks,
Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

See this from Jeremy:

Xway will run on macOS 10.13 or later

This would mean that Xway can run on High Sierra (10.13), Mojave (10.14), and Catalina (10.15). If your day-to-day work relies on Freeway, and you don’t want to use a VM, your best bet would be to stay on Mojave, as it will run both Freeway and Xway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden