Xway

Hi Jane,

1. There will be an upgrade price when we start selling Xway, but the public beta version will be free.

2. I’m using Catalina on a separate partition for testing purposes, but it will be a while before I use it as my main system. I’ve seen reports of serious bugs that are worrying (e.g. data loss in Apple Mail).

3. It will take a while before Xway is a complete replacement for Freeway. Our advice is to keep Mojave on a separate partition (or external drive), or run it in a VM, so that you can continue to use Freeway (and other 32-bit apps). See previous messages in this thread for more information.

4. Much of Xway should be familiar to Freeway users, but we’ve also redesigned it in places to reflect the fact that the web is different to how it was when Freeway was first written (over 20 years ago).

5. The public beta is just a starting point. Our plan is for Xway to develop rapidly over the coming months and years, matching its initial pace of development.

Jeremy

On 22 Oct 2019, at 12:12, Jane Davies via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

This is the news we have been waiting a LONG time to hear.
Congratulations on all your hard work (and I haven’t even seen it yet!)
Will there be an upgrade price for FreewayPro7 owners or is this such a fundamental rebuild that we’re all “starting again”?

Looking forward to trying it. And upgrading the MacOS we’ve dragging our heels over…and probably finally upgrading the hardware to boot.

Sure I’ll be delighted whatever it’s features are and I’m presuming that (speaking as a craftsman who needs a website rather than a web developer) most of my hard won Freeway-Learning-Curve will form the basis of tacitly understanding Xway?

Really didn’t want to be learning new software but have to admit I nearly abandoned you to Webflow before deciding to keep our old Mac/OS and hanging on in there. As a Lay User rather than an expert, I really liked the simple looking way Webflow integrate an easy-to-understand Content Management System inspector into their User Interface; many alternatives seem to trumpet this feature now and if you’ve built in something even vaguely similar then I’ll be delighted.

Will likely keep FW7 on a separate partition until I’m clear in my head how Xway works but this is still the best news I’ve heard in 2019. I know it has been a mammoth task (with more ahead) but Good For You and let’s see the Beta version as soon as possible. I’m feeling impatient now…!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I still have two web that were produced in freeway pro. I can’t access them or fix them since updating to Catalina. What can I do now?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Mike,

I still have two web that were produced in freeway pro. I can’t access them or fix them since updating to Catalina. What can I do now?

Two options:

1. Install Mojave on a separate partition or external drive for when you need to run Freeway (or other 32-bit apps)

2. Run Mojave inside a VM (such as VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop). There is a TidBITS article that explains how to do this with Parallels:

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy,
I hope all is well.

I am still considering which one of these options is more convenient for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marcus

On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Two options:

1. Install Mojave on a separate partition or external drive for when you need to run Freeway (or other 32-bit apps)

2. Run Mojave inside a VM (such as VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop). There is a TidBITS article that explains how to do this with Parallels:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve steered clear of 10.15 so far but have got 10.11 set up with VMware Fusion for older apps. You can have the VM running on your machine whilst still working in the latest MacOS version at the same time. Using a partition would mean (for me) a lot of shutting down and restarting which the VM route avoids.

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Creating another partition is free, but requires rebooting as Gordon mentioned. Buying VM software costs money, but not a ton. However, you might have to subscribe to get updates that work with the latest macOS every year or pay to upgrade every year.

There are pros and cons to each method. I can’t say which will work better for you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Joe, thanks for your answer!
I believe I will stick with the VM software since it allows me to run both Mac OS at the same time.

Best regards,
Marcus

On Nov 21, 2019, at 7:14 AM, Joe Muscara email@hidden wrote:

Creating another partition is free, but requires rebooting as Gordon mentioned. Buying VM software costs money, but not a ton. However, you might have to subscribe to get updates that work with the latest macOS every year or pay to upgrade every year.

There are pros and cons to each method. I can’t say which will work better for you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry - I’ve only just seen this (Gmail puts some of my Freeway Talk messages into spam), but other people have given some good answers.

I’m waiting for Apple to fix some more bugs before I upgrade to Catalina (I have it running on a test partition), but I’m planning to use a VM when I do that.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Very excited about the developing Xway. What might be the approximate timescale until the full version is available?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden