Delta Dave

Hi friends… I have not processed this news yet but here goes…

I have sadly received an email from Dave McCallum’s wife… here is is for you all to know that David passed away… ugh Im gutted… David is my friend and an amazing teach to me. I will miss him…

Here is the letter:
“I have been going through David’s contacts and see he has a large number of e-mails from yourself through the forum that you are both part of. As you know David had a heart valve replacement operation a few weeks ago. I am sorry to have to tell you that David suffered a massive cardiac arrest last Friday and passed away a few days later. I am sorry to break the news to you this way as I know that he often spoke a things he was doing for Carla - often into the small hours of the morning. I am gradually going through David’s e-mails and trying to let people know this has happened. David thoroughly enjoyed building web sites and helping people with theirs - it was a hobby to him and I know he got a lot of pleasure from it. He passed away peacefully with myself and his daughter at his side and I am taking comfort from that.
Again sorry to break this news to you.”

Arlene (David’s wife)

If you have any thoughts you can add them and I will forward them to Arlene

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

My condolences to Dave’s family.

I was not aware of his health issues so this news is especially
shocking. Numbing, really.

Dave has been a fixture throughout my 15 year web journey and like so
many others I owe him a debt of gratitude for all the help he has
offered to me both on and off-list.

A sad day indeed.

Todd
QREATiv | https://qreativ.space
Chicago | 312 . 212 . 3955

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It is very hard to write in this forum, the very place Dave has helped me nearly 1,000 times over the years, to wish a sudden farewell.

I cannot count the number of times I couldn’t wait to wake up to see Dave’s personal and passionate response to an idea I had or an issue.

It is not a fair world and I am honored to have gotten to know him through various forms of communication and to learn from one of the greats.

His influence on me will never diminish and I hope I can do the same for others.

Goodbye friend; You will be forever missed, and Hoffkids will continue and always be dedicated to you.

Barry Hoffman

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wow, this is an untimely passing. Dave really shared his passion in this forum, and he will be missed terribly. We knew him only a little here, those who were closest to him will feel the loss all the more. My heart goes out to them, and I hope they find peace.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am really sorry to hear that…

My condolences to his wife, all the family and closest friends.
He will indeed be missed a lot.

Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This came as a shock, not least because similar happened to my father some years ago after a valve replacement … we had no time to prepare. That is the most difficult your sudden loss.

I am truly sorry to hear this. DD was so helpful and put in an inordinate amount of time and effort over the years to help others using Freeway. Including me. I enjoyed reading his posts even if I did not have the prob myself because he had a clear way of describing a solution. This was often interesting and a broadening of knowledge.

Thank you Dave.

Peter Tucker, Oxford UK - but mobile somewhere iP6

On 10 Aug 2017, at 06:05, Marcus Do Carmo email@hidden wrote:

I am really sorry to hear that…

My condolences to his wife, all the family and closest friends.
He will indeed be missed a lot.

Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Even though I never met Dave or even know what he looks like I still feel devastated by this sad news.
Like many others on here he has helped me on on several occasions. When I see requests for help and they haven’t put a link to their site on it I always think it’s only a matter of time before Dave asks for the link so that he can help.
He will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Such sad news. My condolences to his family.

Lee

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sad news indeed. My heart go out to the Family. Dave very kindly sent a few print jobs our way over years so I managed to speak to him in personal rather than just though Freewaytalk. A nice guy.

David Owen
Printline Advertising

On 9 Aug 2017, at 22:29, Carla email@hidden wrote:

Hi friends… I have not processed this news yet but here goes…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Yes David,

He may have seemed private but I got to know him a little as well and he spoke of his daughter at times.
Wonderful person.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sad news. It was one of the names that so often „popped up“ in the forum for so many years. I am thankful for his efforts.
My thoughts are with his family and friends. Thank you for sharing. Hanna

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My goodness, such a shame. All my best to the loved ones he’s left behind.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This is very sad news for all of us here. David has been a massive help to me as I’ve been learning my trade through his many helpful and detailed responses here on Freewaytalk, and also by being an inspiration for me to keep learning and improving at this craft.

His contributions will continue to be a great benefit for many, many years to come.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m truly shocked. Dave helped me more than just a little bit with my site, to the point that I wouldn’t have managed to build it as it stands, without his generous help and of course, all the time that he gave.

I’m even more shocked, because I have a project in the works, that I was hoping to send his way, as a proper paying job, by way of thanks for all the effort he put in to helping me and of course, because he had a considerable skill and knowledge.

The peculiar ‘pen-friend’ aspect of internet forums, where we know, but never meet people, makes this so strange. We really have little, or no idea of the life beyond the forum posts. In Dave’s case he was extremely generous and kind with his help and aside from that, I know little of him, except that he was a fellow Scotsman and for that I feel the kinship.

My heartfelt condolences to his wife and daughter and to his friends and family. I am very saddened to hear this news.

Yours Aye Dave,

Grant

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Since days I’m stalking this list - in fact unable doing justice to what David meant for us and me personally. And I still struggle doing so. Not only that he enlightened us in 16248 post since 30 August 2006 here on FreewayTalk, he obviously did many hundreds of private talks with you guys and gals as well. Me included. He substituted the existing (or missing) manual many times. It was an honor and pleasure having had the luck standing on shoulder of giants.

My condolences to his wife and daughter, family and friends.

In memory of my TakeMate David McCallum - Glasgow (SCO). Rest in Peace my friend.

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Absolutely agreed Thomas…

words do not even portray the kindness of Dave… the one who always came on board this forum and to me privately since May 2009.

I have saved every email, and as such he will live on as my teacher, who had more patience than a turtle crossing the road… . I used to kid him that I could see him rolling his eyes from Glasgow to NYC. xo

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Very, very sad news. He helped me a great deal in my first steps in web design, and later in a bit more complicated (for me) stuff, although easy for him.

I very rarely use freeway now, but he pretty much taught me the basics of web design and will be sorely missed. Thank you Dave.

My thanks to him and very best wishes to his family and friends.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Dave will be missed. My condolences go out to his family.
Life is so short make the most of it.
John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What a bummer thing to find out! Indeed Delta Dave was one of the very most helpful and friendly people on this forum and he had the answers to my questions a few times for sure. He will be sorely missed.

Excuse me though, but I am curious about his death since I recently had my second aortic heart valve replacement. The first was in 1999 via open heart surgery with a bovine valve. When it was deteriorating I decided I was not going to have a second open heart surgery and ended up speaking nationally on the subject of “dying with dignity”. It was my right to decline the surgery.

At the very last moment though I was approved for a new experimental valve replacement where there is NO open heart surgery. This operation has been used for nearly a decade in Europe but it is new here in the USA.

Not sure, but I thought that DD lived in Europe and so I was shocked to learn the reason of the death. At his age there should have been an option to go with the non-open heart surgery. I was released from the hospital 26 hours after my surgery was done and then riding a bicycle within a week after that.

It is such a shame to lose such a good person to such a thing as this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oh gosh - I’ve read this stream, but didn’t realise it was Delta Dave! I’m shocked, Dave was so incredibly helpful. He helped me on quite a few occasions, especially when I first started using Freeway quite a few years ago. So terribly sad and sorry, sincere condolences to Dave’s family. How sad……

Elizabeth

On 15 Aug 2017, at 1:08 PM, Robert Mitton email@hidden wrote:

What a bummer thing to find out! Indeed Delta Dave was one of the very most helpful and friendly people on this forum and he had the answers to my questions a few times for sure. He will be sorely missed.

Excuse me though, but I am curious about his death since I recently had my second aortic heart valve replacement. The first was in 1999 via open heart surgery with a bovine valve. When it was deteriorating I decided I was not going to have a second open heart surgery and ended up speaking nationally on the subject of “dying with dignity”. It was my right to decline the surgery.

At the very last moment though I was approved for a new experimental valve replacement where there is NO open heart surgery. This operation has been used for nearly a decade in Europe but it is new here in the USA.

Not sure, but I thought that DD lived in Europe and so I was shocked to learn the reason of the death. At his age there should have been an option to go with the non-open heart surgery. I was released from the hospital 26 hours after my surgery was done and then riding a bicycle within a week after that.

It is such a shame to lose such a good person to such a thing as this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden