Freeway 8 / The end of Adobe Muse

I never liked Muse for the code he generated. I’m sorry for their users. Now that the development of Muse is stopped, others (like Webflow
) will seek these customers - To our friends and colleagues using Adobe Muse

And freeway 8?

http://muse.adobe.com/product-announcement-intl.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

On 27 Mar 2018, 1:32 pm, Auguste wrote:

And freeway 8?

The mythical and fabled update of Freeway exists somewhere in the space time continuum, that’s all that is known. :slight_smile:

This is certainly a missed opportunity for Freeway. Not being able to enlighten those people during this time of Muse users looking for options. With no news to report of a viable alternative from Softpress.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Yes it’s true we would like a sign from Softpress to know if the Freeway 8 software development is on track :slight_smile:

If no, it would be fair to tell us !

If so, maybe they could just share a screenshot of the new software?
But leaving us with a cosmic vacuum is not reassuring…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

We are working on a new version of Freeway.

This is a major undertaking, because Freeway has to be rewritten from the ground up so that it uses modern (64-bit) APIs. It’s going to take us a while to get there.

We’re also doing our best to support the existing Freeway community in the meantime.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@Jeremy
We all understand that it’s a major overhaul to get Freeway back on the
rails again, but although all of the current and formal users are very
loyal to Softpress, be aware that if software like Webflow, Sparkle, Blocs,
RSD, or builders like W/O (Without Coding) or Elementor attract more and
more FW users and force them to subscribe or invest in their software, its
not easy to go back another time to FW when sites are already built on
those platforms.
Business must keep on rolling… so if you don’t won’t to loose the
majority of us… keep us regurarly informed about the status, perhaps a
timeline… You guys won’t work so hard to see half the audience has given
up when you present FW8 I presume.

Success!

Andries

2018-03-27 19:47 GMT+02:00 Jeremy Hughes email@hidden:

This is a major undertaking, because Freeway has to be rewritten from the
ground up so that it uses modern (64-bit) APIs. It’s going to take us a
while to get there.

We’re also doing our best to support the existing Freeway community in the
meantime.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

See :wink:

The mythical and fabled update of Freeway exists somewhere in the space time continuum, that’s all that is known. :slight_smile:

But in all seriousness, best wishes Jeremy with your efforts in what you are trying to accomplish.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes a timeline is a good idea. Knowing that it can not be precise. For example Beta of Freeway 8 in the first quarter of 2019 :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

i still can wait on it, and i want to, but there will come a day i need to redo my websites, i realy hope freeway 8 is there at that time

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 28 Mar 2018, 6:40 am, Auguste wrote:

Yes a timeline is a good idea. Knowing that it can not be precise. For example Beta of Freeway 8 in the first quarter of 2019 :slight_smile:

Software companies only do this when they are sure they can make that date, with anything, even a version with less features (you’re seen Apple do this). IOW, most of the work has to be done or very close to it to even have a clue they can make the date. Otherwise, the date can come and go and they’re still deep into it, and users get mad because it was “promised” on that date, even if it wasn’t.

I’d rather they do what Softpress are doing and not spend any time guessing at when they might be finished. As long as they’re still working on it, that’s what they should do.

JMO.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Another idea is to ask the Freeway community what they wish as Webflow https://wishlist.webflow.com/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Mar 2018, at 12:57, Auguste wrote:

Another idea is to ask the Freeway community what they wish as Webflow
https://wishlist.webflow.com/

For goodness sake don’t ask the community what they want!

Never ask the users except at the beginning of a project. :^) It only
confuses things and causes delays. (Unless the developers themselves ask
of course).

I’m sure most users want something that can produce modern sites as
well as Freeway makes older types of site - but with multiple undo.
I’m also sure that that is a sufficient user spec for Softpress to be
working with now, and also what they are doing.

… And for the person who asked for a screenshot: a screenshot is about
as good an indication of the state of product development as Adobe’s
suggestion for Muse users’ way forwards is to creating a website.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Apparently for Webflow it’s the opposite. We can see what is in development and what is not… No confusion at all, but a development time not defined… And a wish list that will be realized or not…
Yes the screenshot is always a good idea it can help you project in the future of Freeway 8 with a simple and beautiful ergonomic design :slight_smile:

For example Affinity unveiled the future Publisher software “Affinity Publisher teaser” Affinity Publisher teaser - YouTube

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve used Freeway since version 1 (and was an enthusiastic Unicorn user too). I use Wordpress for maybe half of my web projects now, but I also use Freeway 7 when I want proper free-wheeling design controls. There is STILL nothing really like it.

I am so happy that there’s a future for Freeway. More power to you all!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 27 Mar 2018, 5:47 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

This is a major undertaking, because Freeway has to be rewritten from the ground up so that it uses modern (64-bit) APIs. It’s going to take us a while to get there.

We’re also doing our best to support the existing Freeway community in the meantime.

Jeremy

Imagine your tax consultant, your architect, your plumber, your IT Service Provider… telling this over and over again without any new information (regardless if the information is »positive« or »negative«)? Would you believe »everything is on it’s way«? Or would you think »that doesn’t sound very trustworthy«? Exactly!

Please, don’t take this personally – but if Softpress doesn’t change their communication behavior (honestly it’s almost unbelieveable)… you could as well stop the development – it’ probably cheaper than being too late.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Imagine for a second that you owned a business – a public business with owners and investors – headquartered in England. (A country that has laws governing what such a company can and cannot say in public.) Would you put your entire investment on the line by promising something you could not guarantee you could deliver?

Software development is a very very chancy business anyway. It’s very much like remodeling a house, in that you start digging up the tile and then you discover that the floor boards are termite eaten, and then you discover the joists are as well. You can plan, you can have a “happy path” that you hope will be true, but you cannot guarantee anything until you have working software in beta testers’ hands. And if you can’t make a guarantee, it is honestly a whole lot less painful to say nothing, no matter how hungry the customers are for news of any kind.

Walter

On Nov 19, 2018, at 3:36 PM, freewaygal email@hidden wrote:

On 27 Mar 2018, 5:47 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Jeremy

Imagine your tax consultant, your architect, your plumber, your IT Service Provider… telling this over and over again without any new information (regardless if the information is »positive« or »negative«)? Would you believe »everything is on it’s way«? Or would you think »that doesn’t sound very trustworthy«? Exactly!

Please, don’t take this personally – but if Softpress doesn’t change their communication behavior (honestly it’s almost unbelieveable)… you could as well stop the development – it’ probably cheaper than being too late.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 19 Nov 2018, 10:00 pm, waltd wrote:

Imagine for a second that you owned a business – a public business with owners and investors – headquartered in England. (A country that has laws governing what such a company can and cannot say in public.) Would you put your entire investment on the line by promising something you could not guarantee you could deliver?

Software development is a very very chancy business anyway. It’s very much like remodeling a house, in that you start digging up the tile and then you discover that the floor boards are termite eaten, and then you discover the joists are as well. You can plan, you can have a “happy path” that you hope will be true, but you cannot guarantee anything until you have working software in beta testers’ hands. And if you can’t make a guarantee, it is honestly a whole lot less painful to say nothing, no matter how hungry the customers are for news of any kind.

Walter

On Nov 19, 2018, at 3:36 PM, freewaygal

I own and run a business, so I know very much what I’m talking about. If Softpress can’t »guarantee anything« it’s all said… You cannot not communicate. Thanks for good and good luck.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You cannot not communicate. Thanks for good and good luck.

We have said that we’re working on a 64-bit version of Freeway. We’ve also said that it’s a major undertaking, that it’s going to take us a while to complete, and that we’re making good progress.

There’s not much more that we can say at the moment. We’re rewriting Freeway from the ground up. Apple and other software companies don’t give progress updates on unreleased software, so I don’t know why you would expect us to do that.

I’ve worked on Freeway for over twenty years. It’s something that I’m personally committed to. I could earn more money by finding a different job, if that was all I cared about. We’re doing our best, and we’re grateful to users who continue to support us.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

For another perspective, Jeremy. A lot of Freeway’s users are professionals, making their living on the web. I understand their urgency. But I think there are also quite a few Freeway users who, like me at age 75, are tech amateurs for whom Freeway is a godsend. It enables us who are low-tech to put something good and hopefully helpful on the internet. Thanks for keeping Freeway alive for all of us.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 19 Nov 2018, 11:34 pm, freewaygal wrote:
I own and run a business, so I know very much what I’m talking about. If Softpress can’t »guarantee anything« it’s all said… You cannot not communicate. Thanks for good and good luck.

Many of us also own businesses, or have. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I am very careful about making promises about deadlines and targets. In fact, I avoid it if at all possible. I can tell you want I plan to do, but I avoid getting trapped in when. Walter’s analogy is a good one. I’ve mentioned Apple in this thread before. Even they don’t make their targets with OS updates (“feature XX will ship in a .1 update later this year.”). Softpress and Jeremy have communicated. I wish the new Freeway was in our grubby little paws now just as much as anyone. But we will all just have to wait.

I’ve worked on Freeway for over twenty years. It’s something that I’m personally committed to. I could earn more money by finding a different job, if that was all I cared about. We’re doing our best, and we’re grateful to users who continue to support us.

Thank you, Jeremy. I appreciate your frankness, your commitment, and your support now and over the years. Now get back to coding!!! :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“Thank you, Jeremy. I appreciate your frankness, your commitment, and your support now and over the years.”

Hear Hear!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden