future of intaglio

I have searched for a replacement for Intaglio. My conclusion is that some 2D “drafting” apps leave much to be desired. Some drawing apps try to include too much. This “too much” gives the appearance to a new person that Intaglio will not fill their needs. Intaglio is unique in that it does much - easily and it is intuitive. The “too much” apps are not a replacement for Intaglio because Intaglio DOES fill a need and should not be discarded. It is not obsolete. Intaglio has not had the marketing it deserves. It has not had the business management required for a cash flow to sustain a continuing operation in a changing technology. For Intaglio to live on, it needs a business person who appreciates the value to its clients, the knowledge of the need/satisfied, and the imagination to see the future.
The important issue is cash flow. I have communicated with Intaglio in the past encouraging them to expect more than the initial fee for the download.
Jean

Sent from RO-CH13

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:04 PM, J Evans Jennings Jr. email@hidden wrote:

Frederick,

I did get the point of your post. Yes, the mail list is published on an open web site, however, the very purpose of the mail list is to support a specific computer application, Intaglio, and not a dark web source of personal information to be used for nefarious purposes. You may have given up on the application and successfully moved your current work to another, and that’s great…. for you. From my reading of many messages on this forum I detect a number of users who haven’t found a suitable substitute application… for them. They may also have a feeling of being abandoned by the developer and would like to know why this has happened and if anything can be done to save intaglio. Because of this I feel a discussion of how we might either convince the developer to again support the application, sell it to someone else, or provide an explanation of why he is dropping it is in order. To do this we need contact information, hence my post(s).

It very well might be that his signing up with Apple to sell the application in the Apple Store is the root cause of its demise. In doing this he allowed Apple to take a giant cut from gross proceeds and agreed to some horrendous restrictions on what he could do with his product once he withdrew it from the store. Other small developers have suffered this fate.

If this be the case, I for one would like to see if he could come up with some kind of a support subscription that would allow Intaglio users who purchased his product BEFORE he signed up with Apple (like myself) that would allow us to keep using it. I would do this myself but thought a more effective approach would be to gather together input from many of his customers to present to him. This my call for a discussion… to come up with a list of reasons he should either find a way to get around Apple’s restrictions and reinstate the product, or at the very least provide a path of continued support.

Another reason for stating a discussion is that I know that at one time Mark monitored this forum. I am secretly hoping he might post as much of an explanation of why he has done this that his contractual restrictions with Apple might allow.

Jack Jennings

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:05 PM, Frederick email@hidden wrote:

In message email@hidden
“J Evans Jennings Jr.” email@hidden wrote:

The question now is the balance between our desire to convince him to
continue to support Intaglio and our rights (if any) as former customers
to violate his privacy!

I think you’ve missed the point. Customers aren’t the issue. This mail
list is published on an open web site.

Still, irrelevant now.

My own view is to abandon Intaglio even if there were to be further
development. A question of trust. The more work produced with it now, the
more to convert in the future if things go astray.

I’ve now moved everything to another app via SVG without too much
difficulty, just time. This time not using one man band sox.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

All good commentary here, especially Jean’s points about the niche that intaglio filled.

A recurring thought I have is that we don’t know anything about the mindset and personal life of Nick so I think we need to be careful around that.

This makes me think that a prudent approach might be to simultaneously find somebody who would be willing to continued development and, at the same time, contact Nick with ideas. It could very well be financially beneficial for him, even if he did not want to continue development himself. Maybe he would be interested in simply being a consultant for the new developer?

I know nothing about software development nor the business of it but I’d be willing to support the effort in any way I could.

John Whisman
707-694-2380

On Feb 14, 2021, at 10:48 PM, Jean Haydel email@hidden wrote:

I have searched for a replacement for Intaglio. My conclusion is that some 2D “drafting” apps leave much to be desired. Some drawing apps try to include too much. This “too much” gives the appearance to a new person that Intaglio will not fill their needs. Intaglio is unique in that it does much - easily and it is intuitive. The “too much” apps are not a replacement for Intaglio because Intaglio DOES fill a need and should not be discarded. It is not obsolete. Intaglio has not had the marketing it deserves. It has not had the business management required for a cash flow to sustain a continuing operation in a changing technology. For Intaglio to live on, it needs a business person who appreciates the value to its clients, the knowledge of the need/satisfied, and the imagination to see the future.
The important issue is cash flow. I have communicated with Intaglio in the past encouraging them to expect more than the initial fee for the download.
Jean

Sent from RO-CH13

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:04 PM, J Evans Jennings Jr. email@hidden wrote:

Frederick,

I did get the point of your post. Yes, the mail list is published on an open web site, however, the very purpose of the mail list is to support a specific computer application, Intaglio, and not a dark web source of personal information to be used for nefarious purposes. You may have given up on the application and successfully moved your current work to another, and that’s great…. for you. From my reading of many messages on this forum I detect a number of users who haven’t found a suitable substitute application… for them. They may also have a feeling of being abandoned by the developer and would like to know why this has happened and if anything can be done to save intaglio. Because of this I feel a discussion of how we might either convince the developer to again support the application, sell it to someone else, or provide an explanation of why he is dropping it is in order. To do this we need contact information, hence my post(s).

It very well might be that his signing up with Apple to sell the application in the Apple Store is the root cause of its demise. In doing this he allowed Apple to take a giant cut from gross proceeds and agreed to some horrendous restrictions on what he could do with his product once he withdrew it from the store. Other small developers have suffered this fate.

If this be the case, I for one would like to see if he could come up with some kind of a support subscription that would allow Intaglio users who purchased his product BEFORE he signed up with Apple (like myself) that would allow us to keep using it. I would do this myself but thought a more effective approach would be to gather together input from many of his customers to present to him. This my call for a discussion… to come up with a list of reasons he should either find a way to get around Apple’s restrictions and reinstate the product, or at the very least provide a path of continued support.

Another reason for stating a discussion is that I know that at one time Mark monitored this forum. I am secretly hoping he might post as much of an explanation of why he has done this that his contractual restrictions with Apple might allow.

Jack Jennings

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:05 PM, Frederick email@hidden wrote:

In message email@hidden
“J Evans Jennings Jr.” email@hidden wrote:

The question now is the balance between our desire to convince him to
continue to support Intaglio and our rights (if any) as former customers
to violate his privacy!

I think you’ve missed the point. Customers aren’t the issue. This mail
list is published on an open web site.

Still, irrelevant now.

My own view is to abandon Intaglio even if there were to be further
development. A question of trust. The more work produced with it now, the
more to convert in the future if things go astray.

I’ve now moved everything to another app via SVG without too much
difficulty, just time. This time not using one man band sox.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

https://macIntaglio.wordpress.com https://macintaglio.wordpress.com/

This forum cannot accommodate images (to my knowledge), so I made a little web page (link above), and put a copy of a LETTER that I sent to Purgatory Design back in April 2020 – right after I made the Intaglio Youtube video.
In that letter, I also encouraged them to "expect more than the initial fee for the download”.

This web page also has some other Intaglio links, and the personal information about Nick, that we’ve been able to “dig up” so far.

It would be nice to get a RESPONSE from the developer Nick Nallick, but this may not be possible – as apparently several attempts have already been made — and he has not responded.

Worst cases that I can think of, is that he may have a HEALTH problem that makes him unable to continue software work – or the original “source code” may have been LOST in a hard-drive crash, and is unrecoverable.

IMHO, what we really need, is a “spy on the ground” in Durango Colorado :slight_smile: — to find out what’s going on with Nick.

re DIVULGING PERSONAL INFO:

Regarding Frederick’s comment about PERSONAL information being made public:

This information about Nick’s addresses is ALREADY public. I just COPIED it from one public location, to ANOTHER public location.

Said another way, I have not added any information, that was not already available in the “public” part of the web.

The points the previous 2 posters John Whisman and Jean Haydel (and others) made, IMHO are “right on the money”.

Hopefully one of you with good diplomatic skills -- can continue this "quest” (although it seems to be somewhat “futile”).

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Thanks.   -  James Ingram, Cell 570-772-1323,  JamesIngram.net <http://jamesingram.net/>
|  facebook.com/james.robert.ingram <https://www.facebook.com/james.robert.ingram> 
|  Apache Junction AZ, Williamsport PA
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Feb 14, 2021, at 8:59 PM, John Whisman <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:

All good commentary here, especially Jean’s points about the niche that intaglio filled.  

A recurring thought I have is that we don’t know anything about the mindset and personal life of Nick so I think we need to be careful around that. 

This makes me think that a prudent approach might be to simultaneously find somebody who would be willing to continued development and, at the same time, contact Nick with ideas. It could very well be financially beneficial for him, even if he did not want to continue development himself. Maybe he would be interested in simply being a consultant for the new developer? 

I know nothing about software development nor the business of it but I’d be willing to support the effort in any way I could. 

John Whisman
707-694-2380

> On Feb 14, 2021, at 10:48 PM, Jean Haydel <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:
> 
> I have searched for a replacement for Intaglio. My conclusion is that some 2D “drafting” apps leave much to be desired.  Some drawing apps try to include too much. This “too much” gives the appearance to a new person that Intaglio will not fill their needs. Intaglio is unique in that it does much - easily and it is intuitive. The “too much” apps are not a replacement for Intaglio because Intaglio DOES fill a need and should not be discarded.  It is not obsolete.  Intaglio has not had the marketing it deserves. It has not had the business management required for a cash flow to sustain a continuing operation in a changing technology.  For Intaglio to live on, it needs a business person who appreciates the value to its clients, the knowledge of the need/satisfied, and the imagination to see the future. 
> The important issue is cash flow. I have communicated with Intaglio in the past encouraging them to expect more than the initial fee for the download. 
> Jean
> 
> Sent from RO-CH13
> 
>> On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:04 PM, J Evans Jennings Jr. <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:
>> 
>> Frederick,
>> 
>> I did get the point of your post.  Yes, the mail list is published on an open web site, however, the very purpose of the mail list is to support a specific computer application, Intaglio, and not a dark web source of personal information to be used for nefarious purposes.  You may have given up on the application and successfully moved your current work to another, and that’s great…. for you.  From my reading of many messages on this forum I detect a number of users who haven’t found a suitable substitute application… for them.   They may also have a feeling of being abandoned by the developer and would like to know why this has happened and if anything can be done to save intaglio.  Because of this I feel a discussion of how we might either convince the developer to again support the application, sell it to someone else, or provide an explanation of why he is dropping it is in order.  To do this we need contact information, hence my post(s).
>> 
>> It very well might be that his signing up with Apple to sell the application in the Apple Store is the root cause of its demise. In doing this he allowed Apple to take a giant cut from gross proceeds and agreed to some horrendous restrictions on what he could do with his product once he withdrew it from the store.  Other small developers have suffered this fate.
>> 
>> If this be the case, I for one would like to see if he could come up with some kind of a support subscription that would allow Intaglio users who purchased his product BEFORE he signed up with Apple (like myself) that would allow us to keep using it.  I would do this myself but thought a more effective approach would be to gather together input from many of his customers to present to him.  This my call for a discussion… to come up with a list of reasons he should either find a way to get around Apple’s restrictions and reinstate the product, or at the very least provide a path of continued support.
>> 
>> Another reason for stating a discussion is that I know that at one time Mark monitored this forum.  I am secretly hoping he might post as much of an explanation of why he has done this that his contractual restrictions with Apple might allow.
>> 
>> Jack Jennings
>> 
>>>>> On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:05 PM, Frederick <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> In message <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>>
>>>>>  "J Evans Jennings Jr." <email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> The question now is the balance between our desire to convince him to
>>>>> continue to support Intaglio and our rights (if any) as former customers
>>>>> to violate his privacy!
>>> 
>>> I think you've missed the point. Customers aren't the issue. This mail
>>> list is published on an open web site.
>>> 
>>> Still, irrelevant now.
>>> 
>>> My own view is to abandon Intaglio even if there were to be further
>>> development. A question of trust. The more work produced with it now, the
>>> more to convert in the future if things go astray.
>>> 
>>> I've now moved everything to another app via SVG without too much
>>> difficulty, just time. This time not using one man band sox.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Intaglio mailing list
>>> email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>
>>> Update your subscriptions at:
>>> https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Intaglio mailing list
>> email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>
>> Update your subscriptions at:
>> https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Intaglio mailing list
> email@hidden <mailto:email@hidden>
> Update your subscriptions at:
> https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Very happy user of Intaglio since 2006. When my last iMac broke the third time because of a faulty graphics-board and Applejuicefactory wasn’t too stupid to install the same crap three times and refused to fix it because it was older than 5 years, I didn’t want an Intel toaster anymore. I now have an M1 MacMini/BigSur and now it’s about to say “Goodbye!” to many familiar and beloved apps+games. I’m trying not to be sad and maybe buy me a used Intel Mac someday, but I miss Intaglio already and there’s just no replacement for what I mainly used it for.
Since the PurgatoryDesign website has expired and Intaglio is now AbondonWare I say bye bye and will unsubscribe from this forum. All the best for the long companions. Take care.

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

On 8 Feb 2021, 2:16 pm, budspwr wrote:

I noticed two things: no update in 2 years and far to many bugs, freezes, & no pixel functions

Bud Willner

On Feb 8, 2021, at 3:59 AM, jayartibee

I used to have freezes on a large drawing, but split the contents into multiple layers and then it has been stable since.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I don’t have any information about Intaglio, but someone on Macintouch was recently asking about possible replacements:

https://macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/vector-graphics-programs.3069/

Jeremy

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I absolutely want one with multi-page layout capabilities, which Intagio
is great at. Which ones can do that?

/Ingemar

Den 2021-04-23 kl. 17:47, skrev Jeremy Hughes:

I don’t have any information about Intaglio, but someone on Macintouch was recently asking about possible replacements:

https://macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/vector-graphics-programs.3069/

Jeremy

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

What kind of strange website is this? I can’t find any place to register - just a log-in page. Lots of nonsense in the comments - so be it.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

@Frank

I assume you’re talking about MacInTouch. I had an account and can’t make it work. The forum is broken. I sent an email reporting the problem. Yet this site continues to work, but then it’s not Intaglio, but softpress

I went to post that Intaglio still works to some extent

@Ingemar Ragnemalm
I don’t use multi-page layouts, but what about Pages?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Yes MacInTouch. No registering possible - so they have to go away with their false claims.
I was at least surprised to get Intaglio to run on my M1 MacMini as before and I will use it till Applejuicefactory comes up with another hurdle. I had to leave quite pricey software behind with this machine - but won’t ever get me an Intel Toaster again.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

On 23 Apr 2021, 5:42 pm, Frank wrote:

What kind of strange website is this? I can’t find any place to register - just a log-in page. Lots of nonsense in the comments - so be it.

This is probably the answer: forum changes – MacInTouch

tl;dr: forum being phased out, but existing members can still post during the phaseout phase.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks sw.
This continuous now since Jan 2020.
I’m just annoyed by claims like AffinityDesigner has no “flatten” command. That’s simply because it’s called “rasterise” there. Just one example.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve switched to Affinity products, including Designer, and really like them. They normally do everything I want, although sometimes I need to google to find the command. They also have some very nice features like triangular grids.

I would recommend watching some of the videos by Affinity. They give a good idea of how the packages work and a some of the powerful features.

I’m just a fan. I get no money for pushing their products. I use Adobe products at work, Affinity at home, after having used Intaglio for many many years.

IanH

On 24 Apr 2021, at 08:36, Frank email@hidden wrote:

Thanks sw.
I’m just annoyed by claims like AffinityDesigner has no “flatten” command. That’s simply because it’s called “rasterise” there. Just one example.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Can Affinity Designer do multi-page layouts? I mean, with a distinctive
number of pages, page break markers etc?

/Ingemar

Den 2021-04-24 kl. 12:20, skrev Haywire:

I’ve switched to Affinity products, including Designer, and really like them. They normally do everything I want, although sometimes I need to google to find the command. They also have some very nice features like triangular grids.

I would recommend watching some of the videos by Affinity. They give a good idea of how the packages work and a some of the powerful features.

I’m just a fan. I get no money for pushing their products. I use Adobe products at work, Affinity at home, after having used Intaglio for many many years.

IanH

On 24 Apr 2021, at 08:36, Frank email@hidden wrote:

Thanks sw.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

@Ingemar

Not quite - it features the concept of ArtBoards. If you’re going to publish multiple pages layouts I highly recommend Affinity Publisher - a distinctive DTP software which is just 28€ at the moment or 90 days trial like the other Affinity apps. (I’m active at their forum over there for 5 years now)

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

If you have Intaglio 3.9.5 - suggestion. I have an iMac 2014 running BigSur. 11.6.2 running Intaglio 3.9.5. Works fine.
On iMac 2021 running Ventura 13.3.1 Intaglio 3.9.5 has some short comings. Printing - you must manually type a 1 for the end of the print range for it to print. However, every page in the document will print - it does not stop at 1. The text block is not fully functional. Sometimes, the software stops responding to commands. Then, I save, quit, and reopen - then it works.