FW issues with macOs Sierra

James,

I gave Default folder X a go on default settings, and the issues are the same I’m sorry to say.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

So strange. Thanks for testing, Iain.

It just makes no logical sense why we are not seeing consistent results.

Again, we need more data.

Folks, I know there are surely more among us who have upgraded to Sierra. Please don’t put off to tomorrow what you can do today. Please simply launch Freeway and test:

1. The stop light buttons in the upper left of the window, and
  2. Sketch a graphics or html box and bring up the import dialog and see if any UI elements are overlapping or otherwise unusable, then
  3. Try the same in Open/Save dialogs.
  4. Open your existing sites and test other things if you have time.

Thanks,

James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just to confirm that all file dialogue boxes appear fine on this non-retina iMac. No other anomalies so far, but I will be working on a complete website over the next week or so, so we’ll see if anything else crops up.

One of the tests I hope to do is to run the OS and Freeway as ‘vanilla’ as I can, without any extras not associated directly with running Freeway operational. For example, I have ClamXav, SkyFonts, Dropbox, firewire drivers for an external sound input/output device, etc, etc. The idea is to turn as much as possible off, just in case any of this is interfering. Unlikely, but you never know.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ian, what Mac are you using? Do you have an iMac? Do you use a Magic Trackpad 1 or 2? Do you use ‘Tap to Click’? I am using the Magic Trackpad 2 with ‘Tap to Click’ on.

In all file dialogue boxes, I have to do extra taps than normal.

For example, if I do File>Open, I need to do 2 taps (rather than 1) to select a folder, 2 taps to highlight a file, then at least another 2-3 taps to actually open the file.

Finder (normal) behaviour would be 1 tap everywhere, with a double tap to open a file.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

• As for “non-retina iMac”:

Already in El Captain, for a Java-based XHTML editor that I use, in the
source code mode, there was the issue that view was not properly updated

• especially when scrolling fast. But as soon as I hook my MacBook to my
    old non-retina monitor, the trouble disappeared. Via the developer, I
    learned that the issue was linked to socalled “Apple Java” - as soon as
    I removed “Apple Java” and thus only relied on the Java from Java.com,
    the problems went away even when working with the retina screen.

So, I just want to point out that a possible solution, for your “retina
Mac” is to attach an external (non-retina) monitor - then your mac will
change from “retina mac” to “non-retina Mac”, in the eyes of the
application. At least, that is what I suspect.

Although I have not upgraded to Sierra yet, I thus suspect that I have
will have the same trouble - and solution: With my external non-retina
screen attached, I suspect it will work, for me. But without it, I
suspect trouble.

It would be cool if someone with a retina Mac could test if, by
attaching a non-retina screen, the trouble goes away.

Also, those of you who have upgraded and suffer problems, if it is
only File open dialogs and File import dialogs that it is the trouble,
then it sounds like the trouble is annoying but tolerable. Agree?

leif halvard silli

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Any other issues with Freeway Pro and Sierra on a non-Retina iMac? Thanks…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have today installed Sierra (upgrade). I use a MacBook with Retina display. When I choose files to open, I do not see any server folders. When I try to select files, I have to double click instead of one click to select the file. Else I have not seen other issues yet. Small advice: I have installed “Parallels” for Mac. Before I did the upgrade, I made a virtual image of my Mac. So worst case I can use this image for my Freeway work.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 1 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm, Soren F wrote:

I have today installed Sierra (upgrade). I use a MacBook with Retina display. When I choose files to open, I do not see any server folders. When I try to select files, I have to double click instead of one click to select the file. Else I have not seen other issues yet. Small advice: I have installed “Parallels” for Mac. Before I did the upgrade, I made a virtual image of my Mac. So worst case I can use this image for my Freeway work.

As I have said before, the only way to guarantee FW to work correctly in Sierra is in a El Cap VM within Parallels.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 29 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm, Iain Mackenzie wrote:

Ian, what Mac are you using? Do you have an iMac? Do you use a Magic Trackpad 1 or 2? Do you use ‘Tap to Click’? I am using the Magic Trackpad 2 with ‘Tap to Click’ on.

In all file dialogue boxes, I have to do extra taps than normal.

For example, if I do File>Open, I need to do 2 taps (rather than 1) to select a folder, 2 taps to highlight a file, then at least another 2-3 taps to actually open the file.

Finder (normal) behaviour would be 1 tap everywhere, with a double tap to open a file.

Hi Iain – it’s a 27" late 2013 iMac, 3.2 GHz i5 16GB ram, and non-retina display. I’m using the standard Magic Mouse 2, with no track pad. Opening files via the file dialogue on File > Open… is entirely as expected, as are all file dialogue operations such as ‘Import…’ etc. The only anomaly so far is the closing/hiding/minimising of windows via the top left grouping of window control buttons, which exhibit erratic behaviour.

I do have an old Wacom tablet attached, so I’ll try that and see what happens on tapping and report back.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been a freeway user for years - I don’t do a lot of web stuff, mainly my own site and a few others - but really saddened to see the end of Softpress.
The other day (not long after updating to Sierra) I opened one of my sites in freeway and I got some kind of error message using Freeway 7.1.2 - I didn’t think much of it and updated using an older version 5.6.5.
So tonight I thought I’d see if there was an update to Freeway 7 and was surprised to see the end!
Having read the comments above, I’ve open up some of my Freeway documents again in 7.1.2 and all seems to be OK - I can import graphics CMD-E

Quoting JDW above:
“So with the except of that scary Internal Error dialog I got the first time I opened Freeway, I’ve not seen anything major under Sierra yet.”
This appears to be the same for me.

I’m using a fairly old iMac (mid 2010 Intel Core Duo 2), OSX Sierra 10.12 and Freeway 7.1.2 if that helps anyone.

Looks like I’ll just about get by at the moment, but may unfortunately have to look at different option in the future :frowning:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Andrew. I have a 2010 iMac as well but have held off upgrading to Sierra until I’m confident I can run Freeway Pro 7 without any serious glitches.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I believe the utter dearth of replies in this discussion is due to the fact most Freeway users have (a) either flown the coop or (b) are scared to death of upgrading to Sierra until they hear more feedback from others. But if everybody is holding off on the Sierra upgrade, it is unlikely we’ll get the data we are looking for.

I just wish we could get consistent results from those of us who have upgraded to Sierra. If everyone of us was seeing the same thing that would be better than the situation now where one Sierra user is seeing a problem that another Sierra user is not seeing (regarding UI glitches).

And although Parallels is technically an option, some among us may balk at that as a solution.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@ either flown the coop or (b) are scared to death of upgrading to Sierra

(c) - have no compelling reason to ‘upgrade’ to Sierra

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

As with all software updates, we eventually capitulate and upgrade primarily because as time goes on, software companies mandate “OS 10.x.x or greater” in their requirements. Same with iOS. I have an iOS device that cannot be upgraded past iOS 6 and most apps these days won’t run on it as a result, rendering the device pretty useless for most things. So even though we may not have a good reason to update right now, we eventually will (for those of us who have late 2009 and later Macs).

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK guys, I’ve heard back from Apple re the Bug Report I submitted.

They say it is a Softpress issue, and that as Softpress are no longer, then the issue will not be resolved.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

How lovely…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 7 Oct 2016, at 09:08, Iain Mackenzie email@hidden wrote:

OK guys, I’ve heard back from Apple re the Bug Report I submitted.

They say it is a Softpress issue, and that as Softpress are no longer, then the issue will not be resolved.

Whether there are future bug-fixes to Freeway is not for Apple to decide. I don’t rule it out, personally.

I also wonder whether they’re not making a convenient excuse. Freeway uses standard Carbon APIs for file dialogs. I didn’t write this code, but I looked at it the last time there were problems (during El Capitan betas) and I couldn’t see anything obviously wrong. On that occasion, Apple fixed the problems - so it was clearly an Apple issue rather than a Softpress issue.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your continued input.

What specifically should I, or any other Freeway user, say to Apple (in the form of a bug report or feedback) that would be productive at this stage in getting them to act on addressing the issues in their “Carbon APIs for file dialogs”? Should we simply tell Apple, “SoftPress is not responsible for Apple’s Carbon APIs and therefore it is indeed an Apple problem”?

Best,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 7 Oct 2016, 10:26 am, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Whether there are future bug-fixes to Freeway is not for Apple to decide. I don’t rule it out, personally.

I also wonder whether they’re not making a convenient excuse. Freeway uses standard Carbon APIs for file dialogs. I didn’t write this code, but I looked at it the last time there were problems (during El Capitan betas) and I couldn’t see anything obviously wrong. On that occasion, Apple fixed the problems - so it was clearly an Apple issue rather than a Softpress issue.

Jeremy

Jeremy, it’s all very weird. As we have discussed before, I did not experience any issues with any El Cap betas and FW. Only Sierra has caused me any problems and they have been there since beta 1.

If this is related to Carbon apps - and we’re not actually sure if that is the case - then do you have an example of another app that is showing the same issue?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi James,

On 7 Oct 2016, at 11:33, JDW email@hidden wrote:

Thank you very much for your continued input.

What specifically should I, or any other Freeway user, say to Apple (in the form of a bug report or feedback) that would be productive at this stage in getting them to act on addressing the issues in their “Carbon APIs for file dialogs”? Should we simply tell Apple, “SoftPress is not responsible for Apple’s Carbon APIs and therefore it is indeed an Apple problem”?

I don’t know what you can say. The fact that Freeway uses Carbon APIs is part of the problem. Carbon isn’t completely dead yet - there are other Carbon applications out there, such as BBEdit and TextWrangler - but it’s not something that Apple cares about.

Carbon and Cocoa were originally supposed to be equal citizens in OS X, but some years ago Apple decided that everyone should be using Cocoa instead of Carbon. Rewriting a large Carbon application in Cocoa is a major undertaking, and it’s one of the things that Softpress struggled with. Adobe managed it with Photoshop etc., but Adobe have vastly more financial resources.

The reason that file dialogs are a problem is that a few years ago Apple decided to replace Carbon file dialogs with Cocoa file dialogs - the idea being that the Carbon APIs would eventually call through to Cocoa APIs (probably including private APIs). What seems to have happened as a result is that when the Cocoa file-dialog code gets changed in new system releases, nobody at Apple bothers to check that they haven’t broken the Carbon interfaces to this code.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden