[Pro] Freeway 7 and Mac OS X High Sierra

Does anybody have any experience with FW7 on OS X High Sierra? Does it work as usual with no problems, or are there issues? So far we’ve been lucky, but as with other OS X upgrades, I’m concerned about FW not working. I’d appreciate anybody else’s experience with this. Thanks.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

There have been a range of reports here, from “works just fine” to “file import dialogs are messed up” (the pass-through checkbox is rendered such that you can’t use it). I can’t recall exactly what the difference is in hardware that triggers this, but it’s related to Retina hardware IIRC.

Have a trawl here: https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/search_results.html?forum=0&person=0&object=message&search="high+sierra"

Walter

On Nov 16, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

Does anybody have any experience with FW7 on OS X High Sierra? Does it work as usual with no problems, or are there issues? So far we’ve been lucky, but as with other OS X upgrades, I’m concerned about FW not working. I’d appreciate anybody else’s experience with this. Thanks.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

No word from Softpress as to when or if they’ll be addressing this issue. I’ve not upgraded my main work machine yet because of this problem. You’ll need that checkbox if you’re doing responsive work and are importing images.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

We’re waiting to see if Apple fix the problem before we spend time looking into ways of getting around it. They’ve introduced similar problems in the past and fixed them eventually. There have been hints that this problem may be fixed in a future update.

High Sierra also introduces a whole new file system, although they pulled some of it shortly before it was released. It doesn’t currently support fusion drives or hard drives - you can use High Sierra with fusion and hard drives but you can’t use the new file system with those drives. That seems half-baked to me. I’m sure it will be great when they’ve ironed out the problems.

I think it’s generally sensible to avoid upgrading to the latest macOS (whatever that is) until it’s been through at least a couple of updates. Unless you have to, for some reason.

Jeremy

On 17 Nov 2017, at 10:06, Paul email@hidden wrote:

No word from Softpress as to when or if they’ll be addressing this issue. I’ve not upgraded my main work machine yet because of this problem. You’ll need that checkbox if you’re doing responsive work and are importing images.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thx Jeremy
Good to get a final word on this question
Ill remain with Sierra as I can report all works fine with this system

looking forward to the new FW

C


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Jeremy and others,

it seems to me that things move in the wrong direction. I have not have
had file system issues after I upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High Sierra.
However, apparently, after I upgraded to 10.13.1 - something which did
on 7th of November, Freeway refuses - or is refused - to save files.

When I think about it, however, I think the issue did not occur
immediately after the upgrade. Also, the issue is only in one of my the
accounts on my computer (I have added several user accounts … to
separate certain projects of min from each others {or, if you wish, the
split is result of overthinking}.)

For instance, the account from which I write this email, in that
account, I do not have this problem.

Anyone have any idea … ?

Leif

On 17 Nov 2017, at 11:49, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

We’re waiting to see if Apple fix the problem before we spend time
looking into ways of getting around it. They’ve introduced similar
problems in the past and fixed them eventually. There have been hints
that this problem may be fixed in a future update.

High Sierra also introduces a whole new file system, although they
pulled some of it shortly before it was released. It doesn’t
currently support fusion drives or hard drives - you can use High
Sierra with fusion and hard drives but you can’t use the new file
system with those drives. That seems half-baked to me. I’m sure it
will be great when they’ve ironed out the problems.

I think it’s generally sensible to avoid upgrading to the latest
macOS (whatever that is) until it’s been through at least a couple
of updates. Unless you have to, for some reason.

Jeremy

On 17 Nov 2017, at 10:06, Paul email@hidden wrote:

No word from Softpress as to when or if they’ll be addressing this
issue. I’ve not upgraded my main work machine yet because of this
problem. You’ll need that checkbox if you’re doing responsive
work and are importing images.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Are all of the users at the same permission level? (User can administer this computer - checked or not)

It could be that the file you are trying to save is owned by a different user, and because you’re not an admin, you can’t override that. If you use the Finder’s Get Info command on the document, what does it say the owner is, and what privileges are granted to other users on it? In my Mac, picking a file at random, at the bottom of the Get Info inspector panel, I see:

waltd (Me)      Read & Write
staff           Read only
everyone        Read only

Is that the case for you (name differences aside)?

Walter

On Nov 27, 2017, at 6:43 PM, Leif Halvard Silli email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy and others,

it seems to me that things move in the wrong direction. I have not have had file system issues after I upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High Sierra. However, apparently, after I upgraded to 10.13.1 - something which did on 7th of November, Freeway refuses - or is refused - to save files.

When I think about it, however, I think the issue did not occur immediately after the upgrade. Also, the issue is only in one of my the accounts on my computer (I have added several user accounts … to separate certain projects of min from each others {or, if you wish, the split is result of overthinking}.)

For instance, the account from which I write this email, in that account, I do not have this problem.

Anyone have any idea … ?

Leif

On 17 Nov 2017, at 11:49, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

We’re waiting to see if Apple fix the problem before we spend time looking into ways of getting around it. They’ve introduced similar problems in the past and fixed them eventually. There have been hints that this problem may be fixed in a future update.

High Sierra also introduces a whole new file system, although they pulled some of it shortly before it was released. It doesn’t currently support fusion drives or hard drives - you can use High Sierra with fusion and hard drives but you can’t use the new file system with those drives. That seems half-baked to me. I’m sure it will be great when they’ve ironed out the problems.

I think it’s generally sensible to avoid upgrading to the latest macOS (whatever that is) until it’s been through at least a couple of updates. Unless you have to, for some reason.

Jeremy

On 17 Nov 2017, at 10:06, Paul email@hidden wrote:

No word from Softpress as to when or if they’ll be addressing this issue. I’ve not upgraded my main work machine yet because of this problem. You’ll need that checkbox if you’re doing responsive work and are importing images.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter

thanks. The short answer is: I don’t know.

Turns out that I forgot the first lesson: Restart your computer and see
if that helps. Well, it helped. (I also ran Disk repair - but my guess
is that that had no effect …) So, for the time being, all is fine.

Whether this has/had anything to do with the new file system, I don’t
know. May be not.

Leif

On 28 Nov 2017, at 2:35, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Are all of the users at the same permission level? (User can
administer this computer - checked or not)

It could be that the file you are trying to save is owned by a
different user, and because you’re not an admin, you can’t override
that. If you use the Finder’s Get Info command on the document, what
does it say the owner is, and what privileges are granted to other
users on it? In my Mac, picking a file at random, at the bottom of the
Get Info inspector panel, I see:

waltd (Me)      Read & Write
staff           Read only
everyone        Read only

Is that the case for you (name differences aside)?

Walter

On Nov 27, 2017, at 6:43 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy and others,

it seems to me that things move in the wrong direction. I have not
have had file system issues after I upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High
Sierra. However, apparently, after I upgraded to 10.13.1 - something
which did on 7th of November, Freeway refuses - or is refused - to
save files.

When I think about it, however, I think the issue did not occur
immediately after the upgrade. Also, the issue is only in one of my
the accounts on my computer (I have added several user accounts …
to separate certain projects of min from each others {or, if you
wish, the split is result of overthinking}.)

For instance, the account from which I write this email, in that
account, I do not have this problem.

Anyone have any idea … ?

Leif

On 17 Nov 2017, at 11:49, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

We’re waiting to see if Apple fix the problem before we spend time
looking into ways of getting around it. They’ve introduced similar
problems in the past and fixed them eventually. There have been
hints that this problem may be fixed in a future update.

High Sierra also introduces a whole new file system, although they
pulled some of it shortly before it was released. It doesn’t
currently support fusion drives or hard drives - you can use High
Sierra with fusion and hard drives but you can’t use the new file
system with those drives. That seems half-baked to me. I’m sure it
will be great when they’ve ironed out the problems.

I think it’s generally sensible to avoid upgrading to the latest
macOS (whatever that is) until it’s been through at least a couple
of updates. Unless you have to, for some reason.

Jeremy

On 17 Nov 2017, at 10:06, Paul email@hidden wrote:

No word from Softpress as to when or if they’ll be addressing
this issue. I’ve not upgraded my main work machine yet because of
this problem. You’ll need that checkbox if you’re doing
responsive work and are importing images.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hello! I’m using a 2014 MacMini, and so far I have worked two of my old FW7 “sites” (my modifications of Portfolio Template), and am having no problem with saving or Publishing.

There is the odd crash on opening or closing something. I was having those since El Capitan; but they are more frequent now – not annoying, though (once you remember to SaveAs often as you work, and use changed file names in the process).


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Richard Cacciato,

You started this thread more than 1 month ago. Have up updated to MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 yet? If you have updated, what is your experience using Freeway Pro 7?

Thanks,

James Wages


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi James,
No, I have not updated despite the insistent reminders I keep getting on my Mac. There is too much downside for Freeway projects I’m working on and not enough upside in new OS features, so I am holding off.
Richard.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you for your answer, Richard.

I myself think there are real benefits for me to upgrade, such a HVEC and reclaimed HDD space due to the new disk format, not to mention some performance merits as well.

What about the rest of you. Have you updated to High Sierra and still use Freeway 7 Pro? If so, what have you experienced?

Thanks,

James Wages


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks. Reclaimed HDD space would be nice since I only have 40GB left on a 1TB SSD, but I worry about the bugs other have reported with FW7. Like you, I’d love to hear more about the experiences of others.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

If you have Adobe rentware (CC suite), the 2018 version apparently has no problems on High Sierra, but the 2017 and below versions do. But Serif is fast improving their Affinity app series such that when their Publisher app debuts, many more Adobe users may decide to run far and away from the Dark Side.

MS Office 2016 apparently does not have issues either, and of course Apple just released FCPX 10.4 which runs great on High Sierra.

The Freeway issue seems to remain in 10.13.2 as discussed here:

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/thread/view/173372

Sorry I cannot figure out how to anchor to specific posts in this forum, but if you open that link and then search for “after:” you will see before/after pics of the Freeway problem. But as Jeremy Hughes points out there, you need only sketch an HTML box and CMD-E to import a pic as a pass-thru. Nobody seems to be complaining about anything else in Freeway Pro 7 under High Sierra, so I guess that is the only issue (not being able to choose “Pass Through” when importing images into Graphic boxes).

–James Wages


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I’m managing fine with FreewayPro 7 and High Sierra. Yes I still have the problems highlighted before but they can easily be worked around. I’m just copying elements from previous pages/files I know are set up correctly and pasting them into my new projects before replacing graphics as necessary.

All the best

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/



freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Gordon,

I thought it was just the one problem of the graphic import dialog box settings vanishing under High Sierra. What are the other problems that force you to copy content from other pages in your Freeway document?

James


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I just find it easier to copy and paste graphics than start afresh as things currently stand. The only other issue I had was a big increase in crashes. I have found that High Sierra is much fussier about fonts and many of my fonts that previously passed validation in Fonts book now have warnings or fail.

Gordon


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

But is copying and pasting graphics from other pages in your document really easier than just sketching an HTML box and importing your pass-through graphic?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I just tried this approach recently while testing an answer for the list. When you sketch an image box and bring in an image, the box doesn’t change size, no matter how large the image may be. But when you draw an HTML box and bring in an image for the first time, the box will flex larger to try to fit the image. This can throw off your design at a critical juncture, particularly if you are working inline. Never mind that you can then fit the image back to the layout using percentage sizing or other tricks, for that moment everything is thrown out of kilter. Contrast that with an HTML box containing an image that has already had the percentage size applied to it, which you copy and paste from the same or even a different “donor” document. Even if you change the image inside it, the percentage setting will “stick”, and allow you to get past that initial moment of layout shock.

Walter

On Dec 21, 2017, at 7:27 AM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

But is copying and pasting graphics from other pages in your document really easier than just sketching an HTML box and importing your pass-through graphic?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 21 Dec 2017, at 12:32, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

I just tried this approach recently while testing an answer for the list. When you sketch an image box and bring in an image, the box doesn’t change size, no matter how large the image may be. But when you draw an HTML box and bring in an image for the first time, the box will flex larger to try to fit the image.

This also happens if you draw a graphic box and import an image after clicking on the Pass-through checkbox.

As an aside, I upgraded to 10.13 recently (in order to deal with a Fretspace issue) and I don’t have any problems with the Import dialog. I’m using a Mac Mini (mid 2011) and non-retina screen if that’s relevant.

I also haven’t gained any disk space. I think that only happens if you’re using an SSD. The new file system doesn’t currently work with hard drives or fusion drives.

This can throw off your design at a critical juncture, particularly if you are working inline. Never mind that you can then fit the image back to the layout using percentage sizing or other tricks, for that moment everything is thrown out of kilter. Contrast that with an HTML box containing an image that has already had the percentage size applied to it, which you copy and paste from the same or even a different “donor” document. Even if you change the image inside it, the percentage setting will “stick”, and allow you to get past that initial moment of layout shock.

Clicking on the Max Width icon in the Inspector palette would be one way to deal with this. But you need to draw an HTML/pass-through box in order to do this, because non-passthrough graphic boxes don’t have a Max Width option.

Jeremy


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options