[Pro] Freeway 7 and Mac OS X High Sierra

Hi,
Jeremy, I’m running a 2012 (late 2011?) MacBook Pro (one of the ones subject to the graphics card recall), and have the issues people are reporting. No retina screen. I’ve not updated my Mac mini for this reason.

We are now firmly in High Sierra land now. If you buy a new Mac, that’s what you get. Freeway is still being sold, and I guess a new buyer will be expecting the app to run on HS. The thing is that there will be a time when I will have to update my main working machine simply because other applications will demand it. Suddenly, Freeway will be lost to me. I’ve recently finished a fairly complex responsive site. The problems in HS would have made it nigh on impossible to do in Freeway.

My concern now is that a few OS updates in, and clearly bug reports being made, this hasn’t been fixed at Apple’s end. Maybe they don’t see any milage in doing so any more. I’m looking to Softpress to fix this now.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

On 21 Dec 2017, at 13:55, Paul email@hidden wrote:

The problems in HS would have made it nigh on impossible to do in Freeway.

Which problems? How does an issue with a pass-through checkbox make it impossible to use Freeway?

If you want to import a pass-through graphic, you can sketch a pass-through / HTML box and import it into that without needing to use the pass-through checkbox. You also have more control that way, because you can set percentage widths or max widths before you import the graphic.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Having just created an admittedly small responsive/inline website I did wonder if having moved to High Sierra would cause me problems but aside from the graphics issue (and sorting my fonts) it went as smoothly as before.

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Almost 2 decades of habit. Draw graphic item (or in this case insert a graphic item), File>Import (or Command+E), and go from there. I am conditioned by Freeway, and many other apps, to use an image tool to import an image. I like to have the expected elements in the UI as I work. It’s disconcerting to see them there, and then vanish in a black flash when a file is selected.

Still not convinced to install HS on the work machine.

On 21 Dec 2017, 3:28 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

On 21 Dec 2017, at 13:55, Paul wrote:

Which problems? How does an issue with a pass-through checkbox make it impossible to use Freeway?

If you want to import a pass-through graphic, you can sketch a pass-through / HTML box and import it into that without needing to use the pass-through checkbox. You also have more control that way, because you can set percentage widths or max widths before you import the graphic.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, folks, here’s the deal…

I just updated my late 2015 5K iMac (32GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal, maxed out CPU and GPU spec). On restart I was surprised to see it was only 10.13.1. Silly Apple won’t let us upgrade directly to 10.13.2. Fine. So I tried to update via the Apple Store Update tab, and although my Mac restarted, it was still 10.13.1! Great, even updates are buggy. So I downloaded the COMBO Updater to an external FW800 drive and installed from that to my internal SSD. This time it worked. I now have 10.13.2.

I just launched Freeway Pro 7.1.4 and sketched an HTML box, then hit CMD-E to bring up the import dialog. All checkboxes were present and clickable, including the field and popup menu. Graphic imported fine, and I was able to make it High Resolution too.

I then sketched a graphics box and tried the same. Same thing. No problem with check boxes or popup menus or anything in the import dialog.

So I guess if you updated to High Sierra and have trouble on 10.13.2, it just means you need a 5K iMac! :wink:

It’s all good on my end, folks. If after uploaded my documents I find anything out of the ordinary, I will report back here, of course.

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, James. Keep us updated.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I found one quirk. I don’t remember this happening under MacOS Sierra and earlier.

STEPS TO REPEAT:

1. Open an existing document in FW Pro 7 under High Sierra.
  2. Preview a page within Freeway.
  3. Mouse over you links. (Obviously, you should have links with HOVER colors added.) Note that works fine.
  4. Switch to another app like Safari or MS Outlook and work there a minute or so.
  5. Switch back to Freeway and mouse-over your links. Now you cannot see the HOVER colors!

6. Click the REFRESH button. Nope. Your HOVER state is still dead.
  7. Click the PAGE tab and then click the PREVIEW tab again.
  8. Now you can mouse-over your links and see the HOVER states just fine.

So this is some kind of REFRESH bug in Freeway’s Preview that isn’t fixed by clicking the “Refresh” button, unfortunately.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have a 2017 5K 27" iMac but with missing check boxes in Freeway :frowning:

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have Default Folder installed, so maybe that is helping keep the checkboxes viewable? :wink: Seriously, I don’t know what the difference between us could be, Gordon. But on my 5K iMac, I see the checkboxes and popup and field just fine.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sadly I’ve tried it with and without Default Folder and it made no difference. You seem to have the magic combination, whatever that is! As High Sierra came out a few months after the new iMac I didn’t do a clean install as I would usually have done so maybe there’s something old lurking about?

Season’s Greetings to everyone (well, except the spanners I suppose) and here’s hoping for some good Freeway news in 2018!

All the best

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

On 23 Dec 2017, at 7:06am, JDW email@hidden wrote:

I have Default Folder installed, so maybe that is helping keep the checkboxes viewable? :wink: Seriously, I don’t know what the difference between us could be, Gordon. But on my 5K iMac, I see the checkboxes and popup and field just fine.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Gordon, I’m not sure what to say. We need another 5K iMac user who runs High Sierra and FW Pro 7 to give us their feedback on those dialog boxes so we can see how widespread that problem is. Jeremy thinks it is a MacOS bug, but if it is an OS bug, why would it not be consistent among all our machines, especially on the same machine type?

Anyway, are you able to reproduce the bug I repeated here in an earlier post? See my "STEPS TO REPEAT.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

James, I haven’t tried your Steps to Repeat, but if I create a new Blank Website, draw an HTML box, command-E to import, navigate to an image, bang, the checkboxes vanish.

This is on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) running 10.13.2, Default Folder, Freeway Pro 7.1.4 (previous versions 6 and 5 show this as well).

It happens when the Open/Import dialog is resized to show the preview of the image.

Merry Christmas everybody!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Joe,

It happens when the Open/Import dialog is resized to show the preview of the image.

That happens to me if I select column view instead of list view. I also have problems if I manually resize the import dialog.

So maybe the difference between people who have this problem and people who don’t is that the people who have the problem are using column view. I don’t much like column view, so I didn’t try using it till I read your email.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Happy Christmas to you as well!

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oh man, how I hate Default folder … I removed it within hours after installation. By adding my folder of choice to the Finder’s sidebar I’m able to navigate just as quickly to it via all apps.

But okay … I do recognise the issue, and the checkboxes (or rather the complete area where the checkboxes ‘live’) disappear as soon as you ‘touch’ an element within a folder. Up to then all seems to be working okay.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Per Jeremy, I did the following test on my 5K iMac running High Sierra 10.13.2 and Freeway Pro 7 (latest):

1. Launch FW Pro.
  2. New Doc.
  3. Sketch an HTML box.
  4. CMD-E to import.
  5. Mine is normally in LIST VIEW so no problem, but if I click COLUMN VIEW the checkboxes and fields all vanish and all the text seems to get fuzzy.
  6. Switching back to LIST VIEW does NOT fix the problem.
  7. If I now click CANCEL, then CMD-E again, because it’s back in LIST VIEW again, all is well in the dialog box. But if I switch to COLUMN view again, it breaks again.
  8. Interestingly, if I now leave it in COLUMN VIEW and click CANCEL, then CMD-E again, the dialog opens in COLUMN VIEW and ALL IS WELL! Switching to LIST VIEW is fine too.

So it seems that the problem appears when you are not already in LIST VIEW and you switch to COLUMN VIEW.

Anyway, I love DEFAULT FOLDER and have used it for years (decades?). To me, it’s down right foolish to be forced to dig down into folders with a dialog box open, hunting around for a file to open. It’s totally stupid that after all these years MacOS doesn’t offer what Default Folder offers – the power to snag the file I need it pretty much a single click. That’s right. Say I have a folder window open in the Finder, where the file I want to manipulate is saved. I open an app, then do File/Open. With Default Folder installed, all I need to do is just hover my arrow cursor over where that open folder window is in the Finder, then it highlights, then I click it, then that folder appears in the Open dialog and with a single click I can open my file! It’s truly brilliant! I therefore absolutely hate it when I get on a Mac that lacks Default Folder and I have to waste time manually digging down into folders to find things. This is especially important when you have 12 nested folders! Default Folder is truly a must have utility!

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 25 Dec 2017, 2:44 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

That happens to me if I select column view instead of list view. I also have problems if I manually resize the import dialog.

So maybe the difference between people who have this problem and people who don’t is that the people who have the problem are using column view. I don’t much like column view, so I didn’t try using it till I read your email.

Bingo! Good observation, Jeremy. I just tried it, and it works. List view and Icon view work fine, but Column view does not. The first two do not resize the open/import dialog, while Column view does, and that’s the problem. That seems like a useful workaround for now. Someone shout it from the rooftops…

Joe

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I can also confirm that the Import Graphics option remain visible using anything but column view - sadly the view I use all the time. Good to know there’s a more simple work around than copying and pasting graphics. I can also confirm that the steps James outlined regarding hovering over links within Freeway’s Preview view also stops working as he described. I have been a great fan of Default Folder for some considerable time and struggle to use a Mac without it.

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Updated to High Sierra today to an iMac without a Retina Screen 10.13.2. The issues with the import dialogue box are not apparent. However if you resize the import window the bottom panel goes to a un-selectable black.

One other issue when opening and publishing an old site one image on a page that was using position:absolute refuses to have any CSS published for that element nor publish any CSS added in extended for that element. Creating custom CSS and adding in the fixed it.

Not found anything else yet.

David Owen

On 21 Dec 2017, at 20:45, Paul email@hidden wrote:

Almost 2 decades of habit. Draw graphic item (or in this case insert a graphic item), File>Import (or Command+E), and go from there. I am conditioned by Freeway, and many other apps, to use an image tool to import an image. I like to have the expected elements in the UI as I work. It’s disconcerting to see them there, and then vanish in a black flash when a file is selected.

Still not convinced to install HS on the work machine.

On 21 Dec 2017, 3:28 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

On 21 Dec 2017, at 13:55, Paul wrote:

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I know I’ve said it before, but this time I am sure that all of you with the File>Import issues will be happy soon!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“Happy soon”?? I guess you have some insider info…
So when is the release date of Freeway Pro 8, Iain? :slight_smile:

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden