[Pro] Freeway 7 and Mac OS X High Sierra

Don’t know about FW8, but another release date soon will bring a smile!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Chroma 2 or Exhibio 3?

:slight_smile:

James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ah … news… I for one am ready for a smile :smiley:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The soon-to-be-released High Sierra 10.13.4 update will post a warning about 32-bit apps, which includes Freeway Pro 7…

Verify your 32-bit apps here:

As such, if Freeway Pro 8 does not appear before the next major update to MacOS (“Even-Higher Sierra”?), Freeway Pro 7, being a 32-bit app, won’t run at all.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Don’t think that’s strictly true, James. Apple have not stated when 32 bIt apps won’t actually run in macOS.

I think they said that HS will be the last version that 32 bIt apps can run ‘without compromise’. Not sure exactly what that means, but definitely does not mean ‘will not run’.

There is also a difference if the app is not running from MAS. It all seems a bit grey at the moment.

We should be safe for a while yet.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“We should be safe for a while yet.”

I certainly hope SoftPress doesn’t take those words to heart with regard to Freeway 8 Pro development.

Full speed ahead, Jeremy!

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 15 Feb 2018, 11:15 am, Iain Mackenzie wrote:

I know I’ve said it before, but this time I am sure that all of you with the File>Import issues will be happy soon!

The dictionary defines soon as ‘in or after a short time’.

We seem to have been waiting rather a long time for this news whatever it is.

Or is it that no news good news?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 27 Mar 2018, 9:27 am, David King wrote:

The dictionary defines soon as ‘in or after a short time’.

We seem to have been waiting rather a long time for this news whatever it is.

Or is it that no news good news?

Well, at last 10.13.4 has been released after a long 7 beta phase!

Hopefully, everyone is happy with the result.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Mar 2018, 7:25 am, Iain Mackenzie wrote:

Well, at last 10.13.4 has been released after a long 7 beta phase!

Hopefully, everyone is happy with the result.

Just updated and very pleased to say that has now resolved the ‘pass through’ problem. Can now update my computer to High Sierra rather than having to use it on a separate hard drive.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

HI all… can some advise as to if I should update to High Sierra… I have Sierra but waited until this glitches were solved… thx
Carla

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Mar 2018, 1:21 pm, Carla wrote:

HI all… can some advise as to if I should update to High Sierra… I have Sierra but waited until this glitches were solved… thx
Carla

Well I have just updated my computer to High Sierra having held back after waiting for 10.13.4 to resolve the and have done so without any problems.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been using Freeway Pro 7 on High Sierra for a few months now without problems.

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just came across this:

Apple Updates Mac App Developers on Mandatory 64-Bit Support in June Apple Updates Mac App Developers on Mandatory 64-Bit Support in June

Interestingly, the piece says this: “the first time users launch an app that does not support 64-bit they will see an alert that the app is not optimized for their Mac”.

“Not optimized” doesn’t mean “won’t work”. In any case I’m still on OS X 10.12 and everything is fine.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“Not optimized” is clearly a warning to users that they need to have their apps updated to 64 bit, otherwise Apple may not support launching of those apps and in a future MacOS update.

May 64-bit Freeway Pro 8 appear swiftly!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

True but that’s carefully chosen language. I too await Freeway Pro 8 like everyone else here.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Let’s think about it realistically. Apple is starting those warning messages now. It very well could be that this time next year they will kill off functionality of all 32 bit apps in whatever macOS is released at that time. In other words, if we don’t see any version of Freeway by the time that happens, we either have to stick with an older version of macOS, or ditch Freeway move on to something else.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have moved from a 2010 iMac where Freeway Pro worked fine to a new iMac Retina 4k 8 GB with High Sierra 10.13.4. Ever since I can only get Freeway Pro 7 to work after a restart, then after some activities the spinning ball appears and I have to restart again. It is the only one of my programms where this happens. And it is the only problem I have now with Freeway Pro. Same website I work on, same sort of activities, same everything. Any suggestions? Thank you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

HJB, I am currently running Freeway on a late 2015 5K iMac (top end model with 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD), using High Sierra 10.13.5. I’ve not had any major problems. I don’t say this to brag, but merely to state that even on the latest hardware, Freeway does run fairly well.

Create a Guest User and try running Freeway there to see if you have the same problems. Keep in mind though that when you Logout of a Guest User, everything gets deleted.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just had to replace my machine boohoo :o( it was a 12-year-old Mac Pro 1,1. It just wouldn’t boot up in El Capitan. It turned out that the cheap Chinese part I added about 3 years ago to run the raid SSD drives from the PCIe slot stopped working… still the upside is I am now testing Freeway on a brand new Mac Pro connected to a Mac LED screen running High Sierra 10.13.5
Basically… Freeway is working fine.

There are some slight oddities like I see a small flicker of a little black square about the size of my mouse when I move the mouse from the artboard to the side rules, and then some of the selections on the ‘site panel’ aren’t entirely correct, but it does work, and it publishes fine.
So from my initial tests, I would say its quite usable

All the best Max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks JDW. I followed your advice but no change. Same problems repeating. Which leaves me quite puzzled as to the causes.
Henk Brouwer

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden