[Pro] New Freeway 8

I came back to this forum after some time away and am very happy to hear that Freeway 8 is in development. What brought me back was the issue with older 32 bit apps being potentially non-workable on a future Mac OS.

I did a bunch of research on alternatives and could not find anything out there that does what Freeway does. I was planning to bite the bullet and learn Dreamweaver , but I’d need to take an expensive class to really learn it, and set aside a huge amount of time to get up to speed. So the lure of a Freeway 8 is irresistible.

I have once question: will the backdraft responsive web extension work in Freeway 8, or will Freeway 8 have another type of framework that will work similarly? I have built several website all of which rely on it.

Oh, and I noticed that the Wikipedia page for Freeway needs to be updated with the news of a new version!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

We absolutely haven’t got a clue whenever or if Freeway 8 will see the light of day, but fact is that Freeway7 you can accomplish a lot, even though you wil have to learn how responsive web design works. When you know what to do within Freeway you’ll realise that this already was possible using Freeway 5, but nevertheless …

Fact is that no (existing) extension will offer Flexbox support, pure css parallax and all this. This is possible (demo), but you will have to write styles/stylesheets and apply those to your document. In fact, even blend modes are possible, mixing multiple images and create a mask from images. But it’s all on css and your experience level on Freeway.

I certainly hope they’ll get it done and catch up with current standards and even get ahead again. There’s a huge gap between modern web design apps and wherever Freeway7 ended. Fact is that no (!) current app offers the whole list of features that made Freeway a breeze to work with. Internal links, resource- and link- management … but even then it lacked a good css editor like CSSEdit was, or the support for units like vh/vw. I certainly hope this will not be forgotten, and by ‘it’ I mean keeping up with today’s and tomorrow’s web development standards.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Decided to upgrade my FY 5.5 pro today to the FY 7.1.4 well worth doing and I’ll wait for the FY 8 if and when it is issued.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

will the backdraft responsive web extension work in Freeway 8, or will Freeway 8 have another type of framework that will work similarly?

I wish I knew!

Softpress is infamous for playing their cards close to their chest, and to this point (AFAIK), we know little more than that the second coming of Freeway is in the works, that it will be built using modern technologies, and that it will probably arrive sometime before Linux becomes the preferred OS for graphic designers.

I would be open to rebuilding Backdraft for Freeway 8 when that day comes; but I certainly hope that it won’t even be needed.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I will certainly buy it if version 8 surfaces.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Jeremy Hughes
We are working on a new version of Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 21 Aug 2018, 11:14 am, Auguste wrote:

Jeremy Hughes
We are working on a new version of Freeway.

Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Yes, since 2 Feb 2017, 4:03 pm without any more information (aka “customer related communication”)… Come on! There will probably 1 user left over until Softpress finished “the new version of Freeway”. Sorry, as a long time user of Freeway I’m really p… off – meanwhile. Good luck and “good night”.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@Softpress: Did you notice that “Freeway Gurus” like Thomas Kimmich (and other “Freeway Pros”) already turned their back on Freeway?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

But really nice to know that "Fretspace " is updated.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

:wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Good night for good. :frowning:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 23 Aug 2018, at 17:06, freewaygal email@hidden wrote:

But really nice to know that "Fretspace " is updated.

Fretspace is a personal project that I developed when I wasn’t working for Softpress. I’m a guitarist, and I wrote Fretspace because it was a program I’d always wanted to have. If you don’t play guitar or a similar instrument it’s not for you.

I also wrote it as a way of learning Swift and Cocoa. Swift is a modern programming language that Apple introduced as a replacement for Objective C, and Cocoa is Apple’s application framework. Previous versions of Freeway are written in C++ using an old application framework (MacApp) and an old set of APIs (Carbon) that Apple have decided to discontinue.

We’re currently working on a new 64-bit version of Freeway. It’s not possible to compile a 64-bit version of Freeway 7, because it uses 32-bit APIs that Apple have abandoned. So Freeway is being rewritten from scratch. This is a major task, and (as I’ve said previously) it’s going to take us a while to complete it.

We’re also trying to support our existing users in the meantime. I reply to posts on FreewayTalk, and I deal with other support and sales issues. There are also experienced Freeway users who provide help and information here, and we’re grateful for their support.

If you decide to move on, that’s your choice and you’re free to make it. We’re grateful to users who continue to support us, but we understand that people come and go, and have always done so. I appreciate that you’ve been a Freeway user since version 3. Thank you for staying with us during that time.

I’ve worked on Freeway from the start and it’s something that I’m personally committed to. Creating a 64-bit version of Freeway is a major undertaking - even compared with previous transitions such as creating an OSX version - and it’s going to take us some time to do this.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy, I started with version 1 of Freeway. I remain attentive to your information because I like your product. At the moment I’m using Webflow and Sketch but I will buy Freeway version 8 as soon as it becomes available … Will it be possible to integrate Sketch projects by copying and paste them in Freeway8?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 23 Aug 2018, at 22:15, Auguste email@hidden wrote:

Will it be possible to integrate Sketch projects by copying and paste them in Freeway8?

We’re always open to suggestions!

There are some other things we need to do first though…

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy. A big selling point for Freeway is “code free” design. It’s possible that some users (such as myself) used other similar apps before Freeway to do web design such as Apple’s iWeb but outgrew them. I’d like to see Freehand open, for instance, iWeb files.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Jeremy. I imagine that some of Freeway’s users (like me) got into having a website at a later age (I’m 75) and/or, also like me, started without a shred of technical knowledge. Freeway has been invaluable to me. I just didn’t have the energy and stamina to take on a large new learning curve. User-friendly Freeway filled in the blanks nicely and still does. I’ve been on ever since Fwy Express 3.5 and Freeway has been an invaluable treasure to me and my initially low-tech brain.

Thanks for the work you’re doing to put out version 8/64-bit. Don’t feel pressured into going too fast and not getting it exactly how you want it. It’s not time-urgent. Right now I’m using a new iMac with OS High Sierra on Fwy 7 Pro. Everything has been working perfectly from the moment I moved up to OS High Sierra. I can look forward to Fwy 8, but without the time pressure, since 7 Pro is working fine as long as I remain in High Sierra.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 23 Aug 2018, 10:19 pm, David Damico wrote:

Hi Jeremy. A big selling point for Freeway is “code free” design. It’s possible that some users (such as myself) used other similar apps before Freeway to do web design such as Apple’s iWeb but outgrew them. I’d like to see Freehand open, for instance, iWeb files.

iWeb files will be very different to Freeway files - and if you need to understand them, you’ll probably need to ask Apple for help with deciphering it. Also worth knowing that a lot of iWeb relied on server side mechanics - those on their own servers. You could probably get a subset of functionality on a non-Apple server, but if you wanted the galleries, the blogs, the commenting, you needed Apple’s backend.

So, really, for an iWeb like product from Softpress, they’d need a major investment on server side stuff as well - hardware, software (with all the security needs that implies), and the will and resources to support it. Lord knows how much that would cost, and I guess that Softpress may not be in the position to support all of that.

Right now, I‘d be jolly happy if Freeway 8^2 just opened the Freeway 7 files I have without any fuss :slight_smile:

And, while Jeremy is cheerfully taking suggestions for what file formats to load natively, can I pitch in my own hopes for Affinity Photo and Designer? :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It would be great to be able to paste a clipboard object into a Freeway page, and have it become a template layer you could draw native Freeway objects above. I used to recommend to people re-building a site that they place a screenshot of the original as the page background in Freeway, and then draw over that. Something that is not a part of the actual output page would be better for this, though. I’m thinking particularly of how Illustrator lets you use a placed photo as a (automatically ghosted-back) template layer here…

Walter

On Aug 24, 2018, at 2:34 PM, Paul email@hidden wrote:

And, while Jeremy is cheerfully taking suggestions for what file formats to load natively, can I pitch in my own hopes for Affinity Photo and Designer? :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

good to hear it’s still work in progress… if u need a real dumbass to try it out… i’m ready!
if time allouwes me, i keep waiting on 8!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Upgraded to 7 a couple of months ago after a long break (5 years)
Ever so pleased I did.
Feels like and old friend.
Like Chroma and Exhibio as well.
Good luck with Freeway8, there’s a real market and if you can integrate product training and support into some kind of business model (Adobe) your on a ‘chicken dinner’.
Kind regards
RogerG

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden