[Pro] New Freeway 8

We’re always open to suggestions!

There are some other things we need to do first though…

Jeremy

I know Jeremy there is a lot to do for Freeway 8. I would like to make further suggestions that may help for the future. After the proposal of the integration of Sketch files. I would like to draw your attention to new products that are really interesting.

Maybe Freeway 8 will adopt some features?

Flow https://createwithflow.com/
Framer X https://framer.com/x

I wish you a nice day :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Id like to add to this conversation… I plan to stick with FW and Softpress , as a long time user there is very little I cannot accomplish with FW7. I learned early on how to build responsively from scratch from all the incredible teachers on this forum, And Jeremy has always replied to me if I needed help with something.

I also work with talented designers who are part of our FW family. It is no small feat to build this type of framework from the ground up, so thank you guys…xo
Carla

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy, I hope things are proceeding at Softpress Towers. Still a big fan of Freeway and Softpress but you guys are more secretive than Robert Muller. Would love to have an update on Freeway 8…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry, it’s Robert Mueller!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes I think it’s a good idea :slight_smile: Where are you with the development of Freeway 8? At the moment I am on Webflow but I do not like the principle of the subscription …

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

A suggestion for FW8.

I think it would be very smart for Softpress to adopt the Affinity (Serif) model for FW8. Serif have run up to year long betas for their new apps (e.g. Affinity Photo). The betas are free for anyone to download and use and will continue to work up until a new one is produced, or the final shipping version is available. IOW, they’re time limited.

This has worked really well for them. People happily tried them out, because they were free. They were able to contribute to the development with feature requests, suggestions and bug reports and when they finally shipped, they continued in much the same manner and their forums are extremely active. The pricing model was also very effective versus Adobe’s software, as they understood the market and its gigantic size and potential. In my view, the same holds true for web software.

So I would love to see FW8 released as free beta software 6 months to a year prior to final shipping, with perhaps an update to Walter’s forum software, to facilitate the feedback aspects of beta/bug reports/feedback/suggestions. I think this would really build momentum prior to release.

(I have in my head a thought for Dave and his generosity, as I haven’t really posted here for a long time)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m upgrading to Mojave today, and will report back after some time after installing it and running Freeway for a bit to share any issues I might have.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So far so good, no problems. I’ve only done some minor updating of existing pages but there were no issues.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Serif are massive. If you’re on Windows, you may have heard of them. When I told my father in law about Affinity Designer when it was in Beta, he said that Serif are a really good company to deal with, and the produce a lot of Windows based resources and software. Considering he’s on Microsoft everything the rest of the time, this seemed like a good recommendation to consider the Affinity software more seriously.

Glad I did.

Knowing how Softpress ticks internally (ex employee, also dealt with them on a freelance basis for a long time too), I’d say that a year long beta would not be something they would consider. Mostly because Softpress is much smaller, it’s certainly far smaller now than it was, and to grow and survive, it’ll need your money sooner rather than later.

They have done public betas in the past, but those have been very short - a month at the most IIRC. So the possibility of some kind of public “hands on” beta period is possible given past behaviour, but certainly not anything that should be expected.

You will recall their their demo times has always been quite generous - usually a month, and that is more than enough time to get the feel for the software and getting something decent out of it.

On 22 Oct 2018, 8:40 am, grantsymon wrote:

A suggestion for FW8.

I think it would be very smart for Softpress to adopt the Affinity (Serif) model for FW8. Serif have run up to year long betas for their new apps (e.g. Affinity Photo). The betas are free for anyone to download and use and will continue to work up until a new one is produced, or the final shipping version is available. IOW, they’re time limited.

This has worked really well for them. People happily tried them out, because they were free. They were able to contribute to the development with feature requests, suggestions and bug reports and when they finally shipped, they continued in much the same manner and their forums are extremely active. The pricing model was also very effective versus Adobe’s software, as they understood the market and its gigantic size and potential. In my view, the same holds true for web software.

So I would love to see FW8 released as free beta software 6 months to a year prior to final shipping, with perhaps an update to Walter’s forum software, to facilitate the feedback aspects of beta/bug reports/feedback/suggestions. I think this would really build momentum prior to release.

(I have in my head a thought for Dave and his generosity, as I haven’t really posted here for a long time)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Yes Serif are a large company and have been around a long time … also producing imaging software for the Windows platform … not that I have any dealings with Windows. :slight_smile:

Really though, it’s the ‘buzz’ aspect of extended betas, that I feel has worked for them, as opposed to having a long enough ‘trial’ period. The betas aren’t about trialing the software so much as involvement in its progress and contributing in a useful way. The fact that the software is available as a free download is very important in encouraging this … but also, Serif couldn’t charge for beta software, as it’s not production ready. The real crux, is that when you are ready to hit the button on launch, you already have pent up demand, waiting for the day. Not only that, the beta base are likely to continue aiding with the effort and are not disappointed when bugs are still found to be in the shipping version. Fixing those quickly and releasing in a new build is very convincing. I had one bug that they fixed and managed to get into the next day’s build … so I had a fix within 24hrs. Impressive (if fortunate).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Surprised to still be receiving notes from Softpress forum. Does anyone / many people still use Freeway Pro? I thought it was dead in the water.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It is more ‘paused in the water’ - but currently going through a refit.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

We’re rewriting Freeway from scratch so that it will run on future 64-bit versions of macOS. This is a major task (even by comparison with previous transitions, such as the OSX transition) but we’re making good progress! It’s possible that we will have a public beta before we get to release, but we’re not at that stage yet.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Interesting, so do you know it’s going to resurface as a reliable and stable website design tool or would investors likely pull the plug again? When things fell in a heap I went over to Adobe Muse and I absolutely love it, but now with the EOL I’ve been struggling to find something else that suits. I definitely don’t want anything where I have to work online, it must be able to offline, so I’ve been considering Rapidweaver.

Elizabeth

On 24 Oct 2018, at 10:49 pm, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the update, Jeremy. I’m looking forward to more news.

Good luck with everything!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The only investor in Softpress is Richard Logan, whom I have known for over 20 years. He has been the managing director of Softpress off and on for ~25 years, so I’d guess it’s a passion project for him.

Walter

On Oct 24, 2018, at 6:05 PM, Elizabeth Christie email@hidden wrote:

Interesting, so do you know it’s going to resurface as a reliable and stable website design tool or would investors likely pull the plug again? When things fell in a heap I went over to Adobe Muse and I absolutely love it, but now with the EOL I’ve been struggling to find something else that suits. I definitely don’t want anything where I have to work online, it must be able to offline, so I’ve been considering Rapidweaver.

Elizabeth

On 24 Oct 2018, at 10:49 pm, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“Passion” is definitely the word if you’ve ever spoken to him about it!

On 25 Oct 2018, 1:32 am, waltd wrote:

The only investor in Softpress is Richard Logan, whom I have known for over 20 years. He has been the managing director of Softpress off and on for ~25 years, so I’d guess it’s a passion project for him.

Walter

On Oct 24, 2018, at 6:05 PM, Elizabeth Christie

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks to Jeremy and everyone at Softpress. We are here to fully support the growth of FW.

Carla

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

yres! i’m still using freeway… doing a new mayor site for my company to… at least, at the moment i do what’s needed. soon as freeway 8 is availeble i will redo everything again, but then the whole job…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 24 Oct 2018, 11:24 am, Elizabeth wrote:

Surprised to still be receiving notes from Softpress forum. Does anyone / many people still use Freeway Pro? I thought it was dead in the water.

I use Freeway Pro 7 daily and am delighted with it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden