[Pro] Responsive Woes

Thomas and Richard, thank you for the encouragement. But I can’t get my head around basic “CSS positioning” most of the time. How then can I expect my brain to comprehend how to accomplish a complete redesign of my existing websites? (Return to my previous post and view all 4 of those sites and see the extend of the content there – ponder it deeply.)

With regard to CSS positioning, here is but one example:

Screenshot within Freeway:
http://cl.ly/463U3Y0a3946/Image%202016-05-20%20at%209.00.31%20AM.png

Web page shown in that screenshot:
http://www.visionsecurity.jp/event.html

The box with the pink outlines, inside which you see the “LinkBtn” selected is a TABLE. I tried in vain numerous times to avoid use of tables by making that purely CSS. But I have found it ridiculously hard to use only CSS positioning to replicate that box; and in the end, I could not accomplish it.

One may try to say to me, “Just change the look of it to achieve a purely CSS positioned design.” Easier said than done. I design only things that come into my brain. I think it, then I want to design it. I know how to take my analog thoughts into the digital realm via Freeway using tables, most of the time. It’s WYSIWYG easy stuff. But with CSS, it’s a horrid experience.

Think about that pink box for a moment. Note that I have the white “1” at left centered vertically and horizontally. To the right of that, I have a 144ppi retina graphic logo centered vertically, and to the right of that I have HTML text, and to the right of that I have 2 buttons (styled by CSS in the HTML Markup dialog) that are vertically position as I want them to be. Everything in that box also has a proper horizontal gap so no content slams against the rest. And I have confirmed it looks fine to my eyes in all Mac and Windows browsers (the latter being IE8 and higher).

But trying to clone the exact look of that box using purely CSS positioning instead of tables is not a fun job in Freeway. And “CSS positioning,” in my mind anyway, is a tiny matter relative to a full redesign of a website using Responsive techniques.

If I cannot get my head around CSS positioning, how then can I expect to redesign a website as Responsive? And even if I was cerebral enough to understand all the code hacks required, the fact remains that design needs to be FUN for me to be inspired.

If I need to design a web page with somewhat complex content that is vertically and horizontally centered, I know I can create that in literally SECONDS using a table. And I get satisfaction using Freeway’s Table tool to accomplish the task. But to jump around into multiple markup dialogs and in the end design something that looks like a mess in Freeway (i.e., something not very WYSIWYG), is foreign to my right-brain way of thinking. It just kills my creativity. I am mentally exhausted by it. I have no drive to go on.

That’s my problem. And surely I am not alone.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: