[Pro] Responsive Woes

Boggled minds or no, I consider speed and efficiency critical issues.

If it takes me 5 clicks and 2 minutes to create something good, why should I spend 50 clicks and 20 minutes to create something that is only marginally better?

Sure, responsive is better than the sites I have now. But is it 200% better? I would say, no, it isn’t.

How much better is the end product versus the time and effort I must put in to create it?

The reason I put forth that CSS POSITIONING example is because it illustrates a very basic task that should be lightning fast and easy for anyone to accomplish. And it is, if you use a table to do the job. But if you go the CSS route, you don’t go the intuitive route and it takes you a long time, and in the end you find you cannot replicate that object to match the look of the table.

Try it. Clone my table using purely CSS positioning. Count the clicks and set your timer. Pit that against the clicks and time it takes using a table.

That is how I consider Responsive layout. It just takes too much time and it’s not WYSIWYG. To me, traditional layout using tables in Freeway is as intuitive as the Macintosh 128k back in 1984, whereas Responsive layout is like DOS or CP/M in comparison. With traditional layout in Freeway, I really never needed to consult a manual when doing basic layout. That is not true of Responsive design.

I could go on, but I think you get my point, even if you Responsive design experts disagree with my stubbornness pertaining to “WYSIWYG.” Responsive design, as it stands now in Freeway, is not for everyone.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: