Responsive image resizing

The documentation says: “To make a pass through image flexible, just change the width option in the measurements section to Fixed (%). By setting the Max Width option to 100% the image will never grow above its original size (which makes them look terrible).”

I can set the width to Fixed (%) but where is the Max Width? The only Max Width setting I can find is for the HTML box containing the image. If I set the HTML Box the image to Max Width, the box scales but not the object.

I’m certain I’m missing something, but I can’t figure out what it is (see screenshot).

Thanks

https://lightbenders.com/temp/screenshot.png

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You will need to import the images pass-though.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks. I was finally able to figure it out.

The thing that threw me was the “Passthrough” checkbox in the Inspector. I guess that I was incorrectly seeing this in the same light as the interpretation function in AfterEffects.

I’ll make a suggestion that a note be added to the documentation pointing out the difference between the passthrough checkbox in the Inspector and the passthrough checkbox in the import window.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Having fun with squishy, stretchy, flabby, etc. The size and proportions of the item (a logo inside a header bar) are all over the map. The header bar is set to a relative width.

What should be the width & height settings for the html container and the pass-through image? I’ve tried all sorts of combinations but the image does not scape proportionately. I know that the width of the image should be set to Fixed (%).

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You’re layering stuff, aren’t you? You really should try to get your head around inline box model layouts in order to create a more predictable layout & behaviour, suitable for desktops, tablets & mobiles.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been using FW for years. When working with responsive in FW things can go totally wonky. This time round everything was working well, then I made one single adjustment and instantly things totally spazzed out. I immediately changed things back but it was too late. This time I ended up spending most of an hour messing with height and width settings of the art and the HTML object in every possible combination and could not fix it. Fortunately, I was only at the beginning stages with header bar and menu. and can yank it and start over.
I won’t go into details, but I have found the responsive capabilities in FW to be very fragile from day one. I think that there is some automation going on behind the scenes that is being overwhelmed - perhaps some register somewhere is being slammed with more data than it can handle, resulting in corruption. Who knows.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Assumed, I’m telling you, that every image on a page requires a width of 100% and an undefined height?

Say I’m telling you, that the “height” attribute doesn’t matter at all?

Say, I’m telling you that adaptive design is the result of a re-arranged framework built on specific parameters?

Or if I even say that “breakpoints” are independent of devices - it’s just a break to review the design?

Say I’m telling you, your pain is not a constraint of the application - it’s the result of limited knowledge?

What would you answer?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wow. That’s an impressive statement. Lots of assumptions.
As mentioned in my post, I tweaked one thing in the Inspector and the document was somehow corrupted. This has happened many times over the past two years when I work on a responsive site using Freeway.
I was able to rebuild from scratch and get it working. The graphic is inside an html object with a fixed height and relative width.
Note that the resizable graphic must be set to a width of Fixed (%) (not 100%) and a Height of Minimum. As the window is resized the graphic scales properly and my breakpoints provide a smooth transition (and, yes I do know what a breakpoint is).

If you have never made a simple tweak in an inspector, hit enter and suddenly have some objects disappearing, another object being moved a distance of some 3,000 pixels, others being wildly distorted, image boxes filled with pixealated noise, HTML boxes filling with a random color, and the default “no style” setting forcing all text to switch to italic, right-justified, then you have not experienced the kind of fun I have. You’d know it if it happened to you.

This is because of document corruption, not because of a lack of knowledge. I’ve been using FW since version 3, but I never experienced this kind of issue of corruption with Freeway before version 6 / responsive.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

• You could start with the header div, which should (or could) cover the entire width of the browser window (viewport); this means it has to have a width of 100%.
  • Apply a background color or image to this div.
  • In this header div you could insert a child div with a width of 90% and a max width of 1200px. When you have done this, remove the height of the parent header div (flexible height).
  • In this child div you can insert another child div in which you import the png logo (pass through). This logo should have a fixed width. When you have done this, remove the height of the parent header div (flexible height).

Now you have a full width header with a background color or image, and in it a logo that will be aligned left or right within an area that has a width of 90% of the viewport, but not wider than 1200px. Whenever you change the viewport, make it wider or narrower, the logo will scale and keep it’s position according to the viewport. The background (the full width container) will behave accordingly.

It’s really, really easy. It’s no rocket science, and it will never fail.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Trey, I’m with you on this one.
Now I’m not a great web designer - I’m the first to admit this - and I don’t have a great deal of back end knowledge for workarounds.
I’ve happily been doing sites with Backdraft since it came out, so when FW brought in it’s responsive features, I thought “great”.
In reality of use, I’ve had the exact same problem as you. Tweak the inspector for a single item and the whole page falls apart - revert the settings and it’s still all over the place. I still haven’t finished a responsive site off in FW without reverting to Backdraft in the end, and I find it really frustrating.
Richard - yes parts of it are easy and a lot of the time I can get separate bits to work, but that one change in the inspector is really off-putting.
I’m still assuming it’s ‘user error’, but somehow it’s comforting to know that I’m not the only one having these problems and afraid to post here…

Best of luck
Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 10 May 2016, 9:37 pm, Trey Yancy wrote:

Wow. That’s an impressive statement. Lots of assumptions.

I never assume, I’m facing facts - as polite as possible (which isn’t easy these days)

a width of Fixed (%) (not 100%)

And where is the difference?

This is because of document corruption, not because of a lack of knowledge. I’ve been using FW since version 3, but I never experienced this kind of issue of corruption with Freeway before version 6 / responsive.

As I said - I’m facing facts. People using FW since version 3 (mostly) persist on using it on the same Methodology. Congrats. Wrong way and attitude (period) - as Richard already mentioned.

It’s easy to blame an application. Beware of blunder yourself - the quality of answers are pointing into this direction.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

With all due respect, Thomas, you have shared a lot of knowledge with this forum and I’m sure many of us appreciate that, but it does not help in any way with sarcasms or pointing irritated fingers lately at people who perhaps are not completely into the workings of FW7 and inline building.

We would like to indulge in your knowledge when you like to share it, nothing more.

Kind regards,

Jon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Frankly exchanges like these only serve to harm the Freeway community and will lead to potential and existing users stopping posting their views or requests for assistance on this usually friendly and helpful forum.

Blunt and often downright rude comments made when someone holds a different opinion, or adopts a different methodology, really cannot be considered as constructive. The “do it my way or go away” mantra has become extremely tiresome.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The problem guys is, that there is no choice anymore. Building static pages allowed a choice - todays requirements not. For a couple of reasons, I stopped rushing into most of the current discussions, two exceptions allowed. One is if it comes to blame a great application for no need - the other way more interesting type of discussion is about the gist of web design: Content, Structure, Semantic. The latter is rare though.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

There is plenty of choice and that’s the issue.

Freeway is advertised as:

Forget about the code. Focus on design.

• Easily design professional and mobile-friendly websites
	• Quickly translate your original print layout into interactive content for the web
	• Power up your online presence with key features from ecommerce to accessibility
	• Develop content for newsletters, presentations, intranet and more
	• With our bundle package, create your own style with responsive templates, and gorgeous galleries
	• Lean on the comprehensive support of FAQs, tutorials, the community, and our helpdesk

Freeway for Mac has been developed to make designing sophisticated and standards-based websites easy. With a streamlined interface that’s just like using your favorite image editing application, we make it easy for you to create HTML content without having to touch a line of code.

You are able to achieve websites far beyond the general user by going in to the software in great depth and examining the code that is created. As mentioned in another thread Softpress wants to make it as simple as possible to create professional websites and, unfortunately, when such users asks for assistance they are basically told the the software functions 100% as it should (which no software package can ever claim) and they can only do things using one (your) method now.

On 11 May 2016, at 12:34pm, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

The problem guys is, that there is no choice anymore.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway has offered several ways to create websites for quite some time. Inline box model layout (divs within divs) has been advertised by ‘us’ users since Freeway 5, simply because that was the most reliable way of creating web sites that behave according to its viewport (browser, hardware). The great Dan Jasker offered quite a stack of video tutorials to accomplish this way of working. Tom has done really a lot as well on his part.

I partly blame Softpress’ Responsive Layout action because it has let people think that all would be honkey-dory for as long as they used this action to keep the layered layout together.

On the other hand I blame the users themselves who kept doing stuff the old way … even though the last 5-8 years they have been advised to learn with inline box model. But no. They didn’t want to learn … and now they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Inline box model layout has nothing to do with ‘doing’ code, but it has everything to to with letting go of the drag-and-drop-layout and just stacking layer on layer. Way back you created a textbook on top of another coloured box in order to add some breathing space around the text … but we learned to use padding and margin. Is that ‘doing code’? No, it’s learning how to use the tools you have. Freeway 7 offers a lot of tools, but you already could ‘just create a responsive website’ with Freeway 5 Pro, but only if you were able to let go of the drag-and-drop-mentality.

So yes, after a while we speak up a little louder … and hope people get the message. But the day we will let you down and/or drown with your problems and questions will never come. We always will point you in the right direction, it’s up to you if you’re willing to go there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 May 2016, 12:29 pm, Gordon Low wrote:

• Lean on the comprehensive support of FAQs, tutorials

Major pet peeve since decades: not even read the fucking manual(s) and just rely on the public to do this for you …

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Because of the fragility, what I’ve done with sites I’ve created over the past year has been to do the entire site inline, with headers & menus and various components created in HTML5, interspersed with blocks of text styled in FW.

The HTML5 headers & menus were really great because of the cool animations that can be done, but are a headache because of manual linking. What I’m doing now is to create the header & menu in FW and use inline for the rest, as described above.

Because of the way things kept blowing up yesterday it took me a while to get it done, but I finally achieved a stable version.

Sidenote: There were a couple of times during the blow-up period when I would see a warning about a possibly corrupt font. I went through all my fonts and scanned them but everything checked out as okay. I know that sometimes fonts are responsible for weirdness and this could be at fault here. The fonts I am using for this series of corporate and retail sites are Verdana plus two Google Fonts - Raleway and Oxygen. They’ve given me no problems with any of my inline / HTML5 sites.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So what do you search for in the index when you change an inspector setting and the whole bloody layout goes up the spout? Hence Trey’s original question.

He’s been on this forum for a few years now so he’s not a beginner and - I’m going to make an assumption this time - he knows what a responsive layout is.

It was a perfectly valid question to ask and doesn’t need the vitriol he’s getting. This is a forum for help, not abuse.

If anyone thinks the question is below them, then don’t answer. Leave it to someone else. Simple.

Trev

• Lean on the comprehensive support of FAQs, tutorials

Major pet peeve since decades: not even read the fucking manual(s) and just rely on the public to do this for you …

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been a fan of FW since I first reviewed it around 7-8 years ago for MacDirectory magazine.

As a corporate CD in charge of all sorts of media for both a manufacturer and local dealers, I tend to use a very wide range of applications. Besides the staples (such as Photoshop and AfterEffects) my two favorite apps are Freeway and Tumult Hype.

While every application has its strengths and its challenges, the reason why I like these two apps is because the central theme of each is empowerment. They allow a wide range of people, from rank amateurs to veterans, to create something of quality and get it out the door and (in the vast majority of cases) quite easily. In addition, they both have thriving peer support communities and provide quick and responsive access to company tech support.

This is a good product that is provided and supported by good people and whose loyal consumerbase is well-earned. (And Id like to give a big tip of the hat to everyone on these forums, who offer their advice in a friendly, helpful, positive and professional manner.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden