Xway b1

The release date for Xway b1 will be Tuesday 5th November (we’re making some changes to our web site in preparation).

Xway will run on High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina, and beta versions will be free.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy!

I believe is too early, and probably at least the beta version won’t, but just in case I’d like to ask two things:

Will Xway be able to convert HTML files to work in Xway format?
Will Xway have multiple histories undo?

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida
iMac 27" - Mac OS 10.14.6 - Freeway Pro 7
http://www.plusartgraphics.com

Hi Marcus,

I’ll try to answer your questions, since you’re the first person who has posted to the list. But other questions of this type should (hopefully) become clear when b1 is released.

As you imply in your question, b1 is a starting point. There will be future versions with new features (we’re already working on b2). We plan to release new beta versions at regular intervals.

1. Xway b1 doesn’t have HTML import. We may add this in a future version, but there are other features that we are planning to add first.

2. Xway does have unlimited (multiple) undo.

Xway includes a detailed reference manual, which is available from the Help menu, and we recommend that people read (or skim) the Introduction. This describes some of the ways in which Xway is different from Freeway and lists some of the features that haven’t been implemented yet.

We have also created a couple of sample documents that are similar to Freeway’s Ambient template, and there is a step-by-step tutorial which shows how to create these documents from scratch.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremu,

Thanks a lot !
I’m glad to know about the unlimited undo, and the possibility to import HTML in the future, among many other tools.
Can’t wait to working with Xway

Best,
Marcus

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:08 PM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

I’ll try to answer your questions, since you’re the first person who has posted to the list. But other questions of this type should (hopefully) become clear when b1 is released.

As you imply in your question, b1 is a starting point. There will be future versions with new features (we’re already working on b2). We plan to release new beta versions at regular intervals.

1. Xway b1 doesn’t have HTML import. We may add this in a future version, but there are other features that we are planning to add first.

Xway includes a detailed reference manual, which is available from the Help menu, and we recommend that people read (or skim) the Introduction. This describes some of the ways in which Xway is different from Freeway and lists some of the features that haven’t been implemented yet.

We have also created a couple of sample documents that are similar to Freeway’s Ambient template, and there is a step-by-step tutorial which shows how to create these documents from scratch.

Jeremy

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida

Sorry, for the typo, Jeremy.

On Oct 31, 2019, at 8:58 PM, Marcus V Do Carmo <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Jeremu,

Thanks a lot !
I’m glad to know about the unlimited undo, and the possibility to import HTML in the future, among many other tools.
Can’t wait to working with Xway

Best,
Marcus

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:08 PM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

Jeremy

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida

I didn’t notice the typo! And I’ve misspelled your name as Marco in the past…

Something that the new forum has is the ability to edit (your own) posts: click on “More” (next to “Like”) and choose “Edit Message”.

You can choose whether to edit silently or sent out a new (edited) email. For small edits, I think silent editing is the best option.

Jeremy

Great news!

I’ve been waiting for the beta for what seems like ages, but all good things come in time!

I know it’s early days but it will be interesting to see how using Xway compares to the familiar Freeway, especially now that Xway has multiple undos, one of the most asked features in Freeway. (I have many versions of Freeway files that I save while working on updates to a site to allow me to go back to a previous version when something in a new version didn’t work as expected!)

By the way is there any reason for choosing the 5th November for the launch date, as it’s associated with the Bonfire Night, do you hope it will start with a Big Bang!

Looking forward to the new era of Xway!

Regards

Steve

Amazing news can’t wait. Will there be a PDF version of the Manual?

Nice to know about the silent editing
Thanks, Jeremy!

On Nov 1, 2019, at 5:15 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

I didn’t notice the typo! And I’ve misspelled your name as Marco in the past…

Something that the new forum has is the ability to edit (your own) posts: click on “More” (next to “Like”) and choose “Edit Message”.

You can choose whether to edit silently or sent out a new (edited) email. For small edits, I think silent editing is the best option.

Jeremy

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida

I’m very much looking forward to seeing your hard work next week Jeremy.

It is good to see you’ve moved the discussion list here as well as I’ve not been getting any notifications from FW Talk for a long while now.
It’s good to be back. :slight_smile:
Tim.

Such good news, that is! Can’t hardly wait for 11/5

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM, Steve wrote:

By the way is there any reason for choosing the 5th November for the launch date, as it’s associated with the Bonfire Night, do you hope it will start with a Big Bang

No reason - it’s just how it worked out!

Jeremy

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 01:10 PM, email@hidden wrote:

Will there be a PDF version of the Manual?

Yes - the manual is a PDF, with a table of contents and cross references.

(There isn’t an index, but since it’s a PDF you can use the Search bar in Preview.)

Jeremy

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 04:19 PM, Tim Plumb wrote:

It’s good to be back. :slight_smile:

Good to have you back, Tim!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Is the Beta of Xway still going to be released today, or has the date slipped a bit?

Just wondering…

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Steve.

Is the Beta of Xway still going to be released today, or has the date slipped a bit?

We’re planning to release it this evening (UK time).

Jeremy

Great!

Can’t wait to see what the future is going to be like!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Ballinger - Sent from my iPhone Xs

On 5 Nov 2019, at 17:24, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

We’re planning to release it this evening (UK time).

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!!!

···

Carla Grande
SPIRIT I DESIGN
spiritidesign.com

We missed our planned release time by about 90 minutes (we were aiming for 9pm GMT), but I think Joe has done a great job on the web site.

“The future is here” (slogan on our web site).

More seriously - Xway b1 is a starting point. We will be adding new stuff over the coming weeks and months.

And as Richard (Softpress CEO) has said, Xway is created by the same team that worked on Freeway. I started working on it in early 2018, but for the past year I’ve been working in a team with Stewart Fellows and Simon Manning, colleagues from “Softpress Towers”.

Jeremy

Congratulations, Jeremy and everyone on this team, who worked hard on this project! All the best!

Marcus

On Nov 5, 2019, at 5:59 PM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

We missed our planned release time by about 90 minutes (we were aiming for 9pm GMT), but I think Joe has done a great job on the web site.

“The future is here” (slogan on our web site).

More seriously - Xway b1 is a starting point. We will be adding new stuff over the coming weeks and months.

And as Richard (Softpress CEO) has said, Xway is created by the same team that worked on Freeway. I started working on it in early 2018, but for the past year I’ve been working in a team with Stewart Fellows and Simon Manning, colleagues from “Softpress Towers”.

Jeremy

Marcus V. Do Carmo
Miami, Florida